B****y wildlife...

General chat about boats
JimC

B****y wildlife...

Post by JimC »

So the plan was to rub down the Cherub and get two quick coats of paint on whilst the weather is good. Coat of paint on, and touch dry quickly. As soon as its touch dry about a hundred and fifty little winged somethings, somewhere between ants and wasps with fly wings, have settled on the boat... No chance of getting a second coat at all unless I want to be picking insects out of it... Are there any of these creatures anywhere else at all in the garden? Are there ****: they're entirely concentrated on the boat...
highburyal

Re: B****y wildlife...

Post by highburyal »

At least they waited until the first coat was touch dry, it could have been worse....

Al
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

insect legs.....easily sanded off.

try putting the final coat of varnish on.....going for a cup of tea and then finding the local wren population sat on a beam above the boat merrily crapping on the deck. They must have waited for weeks for that opportunity.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Insects are not too bad....just don't touch em till the paint is dry.

Although for Bloody Wildlife, I really caught it one year when I found that a family of Robbins was nesting on my stern deck using the air hole around the transom to get in.

Couldn't move them till the little buggers had left home.....truly very frustrating.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ed wrote:Insects are not too bad....just don't touch em till the paint is dry.

Although for Bloody Wildlife, I really caught it one year when I found that a family of Robbins was nesting on my stern deck using the air hole around the transom to get in.

Couldn't move them till the little buggers had left home.....truly very frustrating.

eib
I take it you were in Bristol, but I do find it odd you had the owners of a well know timber merchant living in your boat?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

JimC said
Are there any of these creatures anywhere else at all in the garden? Are there ****: they're entirely concentrated on the boat...
So what colour did you paint your cherup.

Pink possibly?

The point is that some insects are particularly lured to certain colours, and may have sensitivity for UV wavelengths reflected in the colour that we do not even seen

Of course you mave have just happened to pick "Flying ant" day. Those of you who also listen to the Archers will also no doubt be fans of Sarah Kennedy when she's not at Ascot, off sick or on Holiday, and any such Radio2 junkie knows Sarah takes great interest in celebrating this day by reading letter from listeners along the lines of "The first Cuckoo."

This gives another entry into the Ambridge string....

Linda Snell complains that when Great Uncle Uffa Grundy painted his Wherry with Black Varnish, all the pollinating insects in her garden came back and left dirty foot prints all over Roberts newly painted window frames.

Dumpty Dumpty Dumpty Da, Dumpty Dumpty Da Da....etc
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

Michael Brigg wrote: did you paint your cherup.
International Squall blue, which is a kind of cambridge blue. Doesn't normally attract insects, and what was odd was that they were all the same species: no other insects at all on the boat!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Somewhere I've got a photo of the wasps nest on a Firefly boom. They got in under the cover whilst it was in the dinghy park. The owner said it was embarassing as it showed how little the boat was used!