Which Singlehander?

General chat about boats
Ancient Geek

Re: Which Singlehander?

Post by Ancient Geek »

Interesting philosophy, do you still sail in War Surplus Shorts, a canvas anorak, plimsoles and if a lifejacket at all a RAF surplus mae west?
Would you go back to the days when, no matter the manufacturer your car would 50 -50 not start on cold mornings?
Chilblains?
Tradition is one thing just discomfort is another.
However each to his own!
Simples.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ancient Geek wrote:Would you go back to the days when, no matter the manufacturer your car would 50 -50 not start on cold mornings?
If I had one of those cars - well at least one of the nice ones - I wouldn't rip out the engine and electrical system and replace everything with modern components so that it would. I have a modern car (well van) for that, the same as I have a modern(ish) boat for sailing every weekend. The vintage sailing gear sounds like a fun thing for a CVRDA event - rather like everyone turning up in 50s gear at Goodwood for the classic motor racing. Maybe not a *winter* event though [grin].
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Vintage gear is something that has been talked about many times....but I don't think we have ever done it....officially at least. At least not at events that I have attended. Mind you there are one or two members who have or often do sail in kit that looks pretty '1950s' to me.

But as for the boats....this is an interesting question....and we have discussed it before.

The real crux for me is sheets made from non-braided natural-fibre twisted rope....and galvinised wire in rigging.

I can admire 'most' original fittings, but would find it hard to have to deal with the above.

But anyway, you will find supporters for both the 'leave original' camp and the 'update to make easier to sail' camp happily sailing together in the CVRDA.

We would normally hope to iron out any differences in performance due to these choices in the handicap....with a 'nominal' intention to if anything try and favour the 'original' camp.

This is just to try and avoid owners feeling they 'have' to update the boat to make it competitive, which would be completely contra-ethos.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Agreed Ed, and I think it is something we need to extend further next season - Jim's Cherub is a case in point, where a small "fiddle" of the figures really doesn't do enough to allow for the delicate manner in which she needs to be sailed. The one time I've been on the same piece of water, the Firefly was considerably faster, yet the figures would only allow a small advantage. On some boats, a leap of faith on speed is needed!
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Since this thread has managed to wander well off its original path in the name of discursive insight...

I remember meeting a chap in a pub all dressed up who enlightened me on the difference between the "Civil War re-enaction society" and "The Sealed Knot."

One was strictly about observance of historical detail including living the experience down to the last hair shirt and I suspect included the odd thumbscrew in the kit. The other lot (known by the Sealed Kknot as "The Crimplene set" were into a good battle and a fair bit of Beer!
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

When it comes to getting dressed up in 1950/60's sailing gear I will be a member of the "I'm a Frayed Knot" society!!!