Singlehanded challenge

General chat about boats
davidh

Re: Singlehanded challenge

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

This one has been for sale for a while I think.

If one wanted to go for a boat of that era, a Claridge might be a better bet.

I'm not sure now what to do about 896; do I sell it as a going concern, or split the carbon rig away from the hull and sell them in two 'lots'?

It ought to see, a fast Claridge hull is one worth seeking out if 'classic' phantoms are where you want to be.

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Having been away at the Sail Power and Watersports show last week waving the flag for the CVRDA with Superdocious on display, I have not had chance to read these posts fully until last night. There is some interesting stuff here, although some want to shake things up, is there that much that needs changing?
Although relatively new to it, I think the relaxed informal atmosphere of the CVRDA event is our strength, and I believe the changes if any should be made at the AGM and not rushed into place.
I believe we should be inclusive rather than exclusive, but I would also agree that this is not the place for Lasers etc. I would have thought that Committee 'recognised classes' should be those making up the Lost Classes which would solve the problems of wether to include the Classic Phantom etc. and Pat's idea to invite a potential boat or class to a meeting is a great idea.
As a committed Finn sailor I would also add my recommendations to Neil and Alan's for a guy of 11 stone, don't be put off by David, he was sat on by a Finn helm in a previous life I was told .
I should also add that I have Phantom 837 in my garage at the moment, being painted and varnished and looking for a new owner so that more funds can be poured into the FD.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

Damnit Janet, I never made it up on Friday ( a long story and not a good one).

You're right of course, the Finn really is an excellant boat. A class doesn't stand the test of time in the way the Finn has done without having a fine pedigree.

How did it all go..... how was the interest in K350 and ...was tere any news at all from the 'Team FD'?

D
David H
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I was amazed at how quiet the show was. Really good for looking around, awful if you hoped to sell anything.

The FD looked great as did the P&B 505. When we were looking at the 505 and the FF we were the only people doing so. Hartley laminates had a big show area with all their range, Ovington had three of their smaller boats and Bladerider had a superb International Moth (and two people were looking at that).

So, a good afternoon but I cannot imagine anybody made very much money.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

The show was as pointed out, quite quiet but that did make it easier to really get about and look at the things you wanted to see without the hustle and bustle.
From my point of view because I wasn't selling anything it was a great opportunity to just meet people,and there were a fair number of ex FD sailors to pass on tips not least Hugh Myers the ex FD Olympic Coach who was very helpfull, also among ex crews etc was one elderly gentleman who is still bitter about the fact he was beaten by the FD when he sailed the Osprey in the original IYRU Trials.
The recession apart sales were made, with Hartley taking orders for Wayfarers and Wanderers and Bladerider Moths and Phantoms also moving. Most interesting was the interest being shown in the traditional craft, even with a rumoured price of circa £55k for a Devon Yawl.
On the FD front there is a lot of interest of established racers wishing to try a boat, which we hope to address in April next year at Rutland, when the class is to run a Clinic and Test day to try and bring some of the older boats out and also give others a chance to have a go,
I am also chasing the offer from an Irishman of two abandoned FD's free to a good home, but thats for another post when I have more info.
GBR74 ex custodian of
ClassicPhantomMan

Post by ClassicPhantomMan »

Hi Nessa,

The Claridge boats are certainly one of the quick Phantoms and bridged the gap between the modern boat and the Classic home built units. If uncertain what to do, split the mast and boom away from the boat and get a second-hand tin one from Jeff Vanderborght whose contact details are on the Phantom Class website.

The Claridge hulls won the Nationals for many years and a triple winner is at Blithfield S C. If they are ever accepted by the CVRDA, then it would be a worthehile boat to own.

Mike - ClassicPhantomMan
davidh

Post by davidh »

896 is the boat John Claridge made for Jeff Vanderborght (who made the very nifty main sheet tower).

The problem is...896 hails from 1988, so it is going to be a while before it becomes a 'classic' in CVRDA parlance - even allowing for Phantoms to be associated with the real 'classic' events.

I think you're right...sell the rig, then just sell the hull seperately.

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Anyway, well done Brookesy for representing us at the show and thanks for your efforts. I know from last year that it's a lot of talking and standing around which doesn't seem to have much effect at the time. I bet everyone wanted to touch the real wood though!

Are we doing a stand at Excel again?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I enjoyed the event and gained some usefull contacts and insights, but hey, my feet were aching come the end of the day, and the number of people who claimed to have sailed FD's in the seventies I believe outnumber the boats in existance throughout Europe!
Excel is not far off and I think the more traditional looking boats would draw some attention, how about a couple of Uffa boats with plenty of varnished wood in evidence, I truly believe this is what people would like to see after a sea of near identical white plastic characterless blobs.
GBR74 ex custodian of
ClassicPhantomMan

If you need someone to talk with regarding selling a Claridge boat, drop me a private email and I'll give you a contact to speak with.

Regards,
Mike
davidh wrote:896 is the boat John Claridge made for Jeff Vanderborght (who made the very nifty main sheet tower).

The problem is...896 hails from 1988, so it is going to be a while before it becomes a 'classic' in CVRDA parlance - even allowing for Phantoms to be associated with the real 'classic' events.

I think you're right...sell the rig, then just sell the hull seperately.

D
ClassicPhantomMan

Just to update those interested, the last Phantom registered that can qualify as being over 25 years old, was number 860. I hope the CVRDA will allow numbers from here and earlier to race with the other older Classes they support.

Classic Phantom Man.

:wink:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The current idea looks to be that we would invite the classic Phantoms to join the cvrda for an event, sailing as the classic Phantoms, to give the class some momentum. If that is the case, then there would be no worries about the boats being 25 years old, as you would be using the classic Phantom rules, not the cvrda, but all the facilities of an open event would be there for you to join in with. Hopefully, this would show the Phantom class that there is a market for classic Phantom events, and they would run them along side Modern Phantoms at Open meetings.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Mike (aka classic phantom man)

can you get in touch please..... the time has now come for 896 and I to part company

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

and the Phantom class website has gone down - again!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World