RULES - Which are the most important?

General chat about boats
Rupert

Re: RULES - Which are the most important?

Post by Rupert »

The pillocks shouting UP UP UP and luffing into you on the start line can be as AG says, but more normally is due to there being loud mouthed gits in the world. I prefer to pinch up as high as possible and scream "Windward boat" a lot, but only when I know the person upwind of me 1) would do it/has done it to me and 2) has a clue what I'm going on about, or all that will happen is that I'll have my head in someone else's boat! But I will admit to being a loud mouthed git far too often on the water, something I'm working on to the detriment of my results, but improvement of my enjoyment.
Nigel, Whitefriars is usually pretty good at peace on the water, as much as it can be when racing, and visitors are certainly well treated (I hope!). Just don't start to windward of me - the Tonic points pretty high when needed!
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Without wishing to be difficult I plead guilty to being a pillock on the start line if calling up up up or windward boat keeps clear, (same thing!) arriving more or less on time apart from defending your weather keeping high on the line usually creates a nice gap to leeward into which you can bear away to get up to full speed before the start signal. I do not race in mixed fleets so it is a bit more straightforward.
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

Me to I am guilty of UP UP UP and Chris has a very loud voice. It is not intended to intimidate anyone and is only used to protect my position on the line (particularly if it is one of the Rollinson brothers :D ). It is all part of the game and I know they would do (and have done)the same to me given half the chance.

Back to thread. I still think fair play/gentlemanly conduct is most important and rule 42 is just a can of worms.
One cvrda member when called upon to move up as he was now windward boat to a boat that had pumped his way to just below him was heard to say "Go away you cheating b****rd".Except that Go began with an F. I am mentioning no names but we all had a good laugh and the offending boat started to rock a good deal less. ....to be fair he was only trying to flip his top batten ....a lot.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guilty my Lord but I also pointed out that a Finn hull is considerably stronger than that of a Burning Spocket.
Case for the defence rests.
Al Finn424
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

At the start I would sooner the blighters (Use another B word if you prefer.) used any method of propulsion rather than get in the way and cause a jam, clear air, a wee bitty sea room and some inertia are all I ask.
Simples.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi AG
This incident was in very light conditions on a windward leg well clear of the startline. The said boat rocked, pumped and ouched itself from a position 25meters to leeward and about 20 behind. In my defence I did ask them nicely to stop before I became miffed. In the end I had to tack away on to the unfavoured tack. However things evened out eventually, when he became caught on the inside of a log jam at a leeward mark after barging in. I slowed my boat by doing a totally unnecessary 720. Which allowed me to take advantage of the space on the inside. Which I knew would open up at the mark as the log jam drifted off to leeward.
Al Finn424 etc.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rupert wrote:Just don't start to windward of me - the Tonic points pretty high when needed!
Hi Rupert, do I detect a touch of the Alex Furguson's? :)

In the interests of full disclosure, I do not recommend starting too close either to windward or leeward of me. I am not always in full control and when my glasses steam up, anything can happen. The other concern of particular importance to a Tonic is that if I fall out and land on its front deck, it is unlikely to be able to withstand the impact :D

Nigel
Pat

Post by Pat »

And Alan, the most important thing is that the said rocketeer has seen the light and admitted feeling total guilt watching the pumping at Tammy. Education, education, education :D
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm afraid the Alex Ferguson comment is lost on me, Nigel - not much of a football fan, I'm afraid.
As for the rest, I will be happy to let you start wherever you like, in reality, especially if you promise not to break the Tonic's decks, having just patched them together again! On recent starting form, I'd recommend being 3 or 4 boat lengths infront of me, anyway!
As for UP UP UP, it is not the actual sailing bit of it I object to, but the language and the tone that is generally used, especially against people who have no clue what is going on. Must remember not to be just to windward of Roger on the 8th, though!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Pat
It's nice to know that at least I can educate some people as this years students are some of worst prepared in subject knowledge that I've every come across.
I have never encountered said boat again at any CVRDA event ,
was it because I was miffed or was it because he realised that we are not all beards and sandles but can also sail a bit?
Al Finn 424 etc.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

I have heard it said that Mr. Furguson has something of a reputation for playing mind games with the oppposition, the officials and probably everyone else. However I am no football expert either (I spent my formative years in Torquay so was put off football at a very early age) so cannot comment on the accuracy of those rumours.

Looking forward to the 8th :D .

Nigel
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:I'm afraid the Alex Ferguson comment is lost on me, Nigel - not much of a football fan, I'm afraid.
As for the rest, I will be happy to let you start wherever you like, in reality, especially if you promise not to break the Tonic's decks, having just patched them together again! On recent starting form, I'd recommend being 3 or 4 boat lengths infront of me, anyway!
As for UP UP UP, it is not the actual sailing bit of it I object to, but the language and the tone that is generally used, especially against people who have no clue what is going on. Must remember not to be just to windward of Roger on the 8th, though!
Rupert I think you are being a little harsh. I only get pushy on the start line when David and Keith are ganging up on me. If there are novices about I am a lot kinder and going on my recent starts I wont be in a postion to be doing any shouting. It took us 30 seconds to start at Starcross :oops: :cry:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

[quote="roger"]Me to I am guilty of UP UP UP and Chris has a very loud voice. It is not intended to intimidate anyone and is only used to protect my position on the line (particularly if it is one of the Rollinson brothers :D ). It is all part of the game and I know they would do (and have done)the same to me given half the chance.quote]

I was only picturing the above comment in my head...I assumed that in the absence of Rollinsons that I'd be fair game! Glad to hear I'm not, though we could both be making fools of ourselves well away from the line by the sound of it.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

was it because I was miffed or was it because he realised that we are not all beards and sandles but can also sail a bit?
Neither Alan, injury put him out for most of last season but he's back now!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Wow.... a comment that really is 'on topic'.

At the Steve Nicholson event yesterday, the club kindly allowed me to hijack one of their ribs for half an hour to get some up close and personal shots.

So - am at the first gybe mark,,,,, 3rd lap, the oppies are just heading off down their 2nd lap when the heavy metal comes racing up behind them.

The oppies all gybe at the mark, apart from one 7-8 year old who is 20 or so boat lengths behind.

He is approaching the mark, when the leading Fireball, spinnaker up, having gone low early in the leg, reaches in at speed towards the mark.

What happened next shook me. The oppie and the Fireball were the only boats at the mark, but that did not stop the Fireball crew from yelling, very loudly, for the oppie to 'give them room'. Now I was there in the perfect referee position, they HAD room, instead what they meant was 'out our way'.

There is NO way the back marker oppie could be a threat, they were in different races after all, this was just bully boy tactics of the worse kind.

Such a shame - and with no real necessity, the easy route woul dhave been for the 'ball to gybe outside and race away - instead they went for the 'right is might' option.

Legal - yes, within the rules, perfectly. but just???

D
David H