Shipping a boat to Aus

General chat about boats
Ancient Geek

Re: Shipping a boat to Aus

Post by Ancient Geek »

So does that mean I can't ship a wooden boat or wooden decked boat to Australia for a regatta?
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Bob,

can I fill a tin marked 'International Yacht Varnish' with marmite and (horror of aussie horrors) Bacon and ship it down in the toolkit!!

How far are you from the RQnYC - are you going to come and give a Contender a shot?

Hmmnn...you should have said Bob. There is an empty space in the Container (as I'm bringing a boat home rather than take one out) but better still, with a Bmw 1200, I could have parked my VFR at home and ridden it down for you!

D
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Are these sniffer dogs Border Terriers by any chance?
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

when they sniff my bag(containing the well fermented wetsuit) will they become cross border collies?

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

An awful lot of TLA's there DH!
I think the Aussies use Australian Sheep Dogs which my daughter who is something of a sheep dog guru tells me is a Border Collie with attitude! Most handlers are minus a digit or lump of flesh.
On the whole best not.
I think I'll send the Tupperware boat at the end of next year not the epoxied wooden one then!
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Oh dear, we're drifting off topic, but this now has to be the moment to put in the extreme shepherding film!!

Ausies and sheep and all that! :lol:

What chance of doing smething like this on the Photo Sailpast at the next CVRDA rally??!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dPbyrfVBROM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dPbyrfVBROM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Michael Brigg
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi all

Anyone know where David H has gone to? Is he taking a slow boat to Aus for the Contenders?

There are sundry pix of my mainly boaty exploits in Aus posted on my UK club website (they made me an honorary member!) for anyone who's interested.

http://www.bristol-avon-sailing.org.uk/photogallery.php

Cheers

Bob
Currently boatless - but watch this space.
Ex-various Mercurys and Fireball.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Bob
When you say "it's a bit tippy" about those keelboat looking things, are you meaning a bit tippy like a Moth is "a bit tippy" or that it tips a bit, like a skip might?!
Rupert
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi Rupert

They are new boats to the club this year and a couple of good instructors have have capsized 'em. They have a lightweight board and apparently insufficient strength in the case to install a cruising plate. They have a very flat bottom so adding ballast is thought to be a no-no too.
The thinking now by the bloke in charge of the fleet is to dump the self furling jib in favour of a forestay and smaller sail up front.

They are said to just keep going over once they start and will invert immediately, hence the ball on the head of the mast.

Any ideas?
B
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Learn to swim?
Rupert
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Staying out of the water is a high priority here:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 02,00.html

We need to rig these buckets so they're more stable but without mucking around reefing. There're often nice stiff breezes here.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Bob,

am just in the midst of packing, leave manana but have a 24 hours stop over in Singapore (have just found out that the chosen hotel there is in the middle of the red light district).

Will be arriving in Brisbane so aweful hour Friday am but if you check out either my Blog (http://www.bearfacemedia.co.uk - brisbane blog) or the post just done for Y&Y, you will see that I may be there but the other things one needs for a championship, as in a boat/mast/sail and sailing gear are currently being raffled in a street market in Penang! Well done to Peters and May.... they are really up against it on this one!

If you and Sue are around at the weekend, would love to stand you a beer at the Squadron (I'm camping on their front lawn - yes, really)

direct email is

david.henshall@bearfacemedia.co.uk

See you soon I hope.... any last minute words of warning??????

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Have they worked out how to get the container of Contenders back yet?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

I'm flying out tomorrow - will do a posting once I get there and find out the news

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

G'dday all from Brisbane

Well, I really feel at home this morning. I'm currently dossing down on a yacht in the marina - saves putting the tent up - and I woke to the pitter patter of the falling rain!

Just a shower and much more of the wet stuff needed here - it's bone dry with everying burnt to a crisp. That was not the case with the meat on the genuine aussie barbie at chez mercury last night. I was right royally treated to the 'works' which in palance out here means sticking half a cow on the barbie and roasting it - delicious.

The pie eaten earlier at the club may well have been roadkill, tasted like it and it and I parted company later - so even here one has to take care.

Sailing wise is still a non starter - last heard the container is still in Malaya, now it has been there so long there is a risk that additional quarantine requirements will be imposed.

So - Team Mercury (bob and sue) took me to the shops to help buy some more clothes to last until such time that the container arrives - or we fly home!

That apart all is well.... in between cold beers am thinking up new plans for better media coverage

happy christmas to all

D
David H