Shipping a boat to Aus

General chat about boats
JimC

Re: Shipping a boat to Aus

Post by JimC »

Currently on Aus Ebay for sale in Queensland - pre 1965 all wood NS14...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NS14-Timber-sail ... otohosting

You've surely got to say that's pretty sweet...
Attachments
b786_1.jpg
(18.22 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Yeah, that sure is a nice looking boat. I guess I will have to withdraw the "ghastly lumps of plastic" crack from earlier. Have not had much time to think about boats lately - have been concentrating on getting the visa sorted. I have though decided that it would be too much of a trial to put the Merc through a trip around the world like that ( or is that the cat I am thinking about!) The above stuff about the heat in containers is really scary, and seeing how she's West-ed all over, I think it would be a bad move to take such a huge chance on it.

I have found someone who is interested in taking her on as an when I have to let her go, so I think a safe pair of hands here in the UK is the best thing for her (the boat). Seeing that pic on the eBay page about the NS14 is kind of reassuring that if I turn up at the local clubs and ask around for wooden boats, they are not going to look at me as if I am from Mars. The NS was kept at a club about 3k from a house we've bought. I'll definitely find something to tinker with over there - as well as organising CVRDA regattas.

More later. TTFN

B
Currently boatless - but watch this space.
Ex-various Mercurys and Fireball.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh, I think an NS14 might be the way to go.

I have always thought they look like really beut boats.

And I am sure there are plenty of wooden boats around out there. They are even still making a few, well more than hear I suspect.

What about trying out an IC....lots of support out there for ICs at the moment.

But, on the other hand, I think an OZCVRDA would be a great idea.

I will try to make it to the first regatta if you can find me something half as nice as that NS14

When are you off?

Try and ring before you go....

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi Ed

Of course we'll talk before we leg it off - and hope to see you too. It's gonna be a few months before we get all the bits and pieces in place. There's a hell of a lot to do.

TTFN

B
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And we certainly need a curtain call from the 3 of you at a cvrda event or 2. As for classic boats in Aus, I bet they have a better attitude to it all that the majority of plastic boat sailors over here. Chris 249 is the man to quiz on all this, though he could be 3000 miles away, I guess!
Who have you promised the Merc to? Hopefully someone who will bring her out to play? Always did enjoy sailing "armchair boats", even if I did always sit down too early and bash myself, they being just a little wider than a Firefly...
Rupert
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi Rupert

Yeah, have hand picked a keen wooden boat fan and good sailor from Saltford to take her on. His legs are a lot longer than yours so he'll have no trouble hitting the right place with his bum. :lol:

Am flogging the old Firebucket too - just one of hundreds of things to be done before we can leg it off. I sure hope to get to some CVRDA events before we depart. Right now am looking forward to getting back on the water in the Merc on March 1. Will try not to get it pranged for the new owner.

TTFN
B
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi All

Just a swifty to let anyone who is interested that I am now safely in Brisbane - and once I can get a bad dose of jet lag out of the way and can see straight, I will be off around the nearby clubs hunting out the right one - and looking for the right boat. Thanks for all the good wishes of everyone at Roadford.

In addition -0 I would like to get in an early nomination for the wingnut 2010. It should go (or perhaps should have gone to) Andy Eastbury. In the immediate aftermath of his holing by an errant Albacore at the wing mark, Andry realised that he was taking on water into the starboard tank and that it was going in fast! Not content with his deduction that the tank was holed from the way the Merc was handling and getting lower in the water, Andy had the idea of whipping off the hatch cover so that he could actually see the water rushing in......................He managed to get it back on - just.

Wingnut or what!!!
PS: Andy is still suffering concussion from the blow he received in the collision.
roger

Post by roger »

Bob,
Good to hear you have safely arrived. We didnt know about the hatch cover incident but we did present Andy with a nice new bouyancy aid for trying to sink Chris` Albacore after sinking his Mercury. He was a close run second to Ed for the wingnut. The hatch cover may well have swung the decision. :?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

G'day cobber...got an accent yet?
Glad you made it over safely, and good luck with the boat hunt - I'm sure you can find an old Fireball, if nothing else. Maybe a LazyE?
Sun has been out over here, so not feeling too jealous currently, but soon I will, soon!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Good to hear you are there safely and hopefully settling Good luck with the boat /club hunting, love to Sue too.
Chris, Lois
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi there,

having said lots of nice things about the Mercury when you came to Netley will I qualify for a barbie and a few tinnies when I'm based in Brisbane at Christmas?

The intention is to be at Melbourne for the Olympic Regatta early December, then heading on to Brisbane for the 40th Contender Worlds. So Christmas Day will be spent soaking up the sun and pracxticing!

How did you get on for shifting your boat out there - I'm interested as I want to buy a woodie boat out there and shift it home.

Regards

D
David H
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi David - and everyone above for their good wishes, etc.

Had a wander around the Royal Queensland club the other day,just before I was struck down with a bizarre Southern Hemisphere virus which has knocked me flat for well over a week now. It's a fantastic set up there for dinghies and yachts and there were quite a few of the local Contender pundits out limbering up in the bay. A couple of nice wooden examples too - modern ones I think.

By all means we can hook up when you get here. my regular email is bobcorfieldATbigpondDOTcom
Drop me a line.

Ref boat searches, have yet to find the big Aus online dinghy resource but have not really been fit enough to try too hard. All will unfold when I join one of the local clubs.
More later.

Cheers
B
davidh

Post by davidh »

Bob,

am booked!

Will be in Brisbane from 2nd week December until 3rd week Jan! - most likely camping on the lawn at the Royal Queensland YC.

No stuffing on my turkey please - nor sprouts! Am really looking forward to 5 weeks of non stop sailing in what I hear is one of the great locations.......

See you in 2 months time....

BTW - is there anything you want brought out to you?

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Take Marmite!

The Aussies only do a strange non-equivalent called Vegemite.

Actually I thought nothing organic gets through the Customs Scanner. (Must be careful here David, there is a danger of getting into stereotyping.) :P
Michael Brigg
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

G'day guys

I'd think the barring of importing anything organic would probably preclude David himself getting past the barriers - or they might be satisifed with give him a hose down. :o)

Seriously, I would love to have a few years supply of real Marmite, but they are really up their arses about foodstuffs getting in. They have dogs trained to sniff out Marmite and the like - seriously. They give you a sniff as you walk through and the little buggers can pin point a choccy bar at ten paces. Farting won't put them off either! Watching something called Border Patrol - Australia's Front Line (or Border Security - something like that) - on one of the minor digi channels and you'll get the drift.

It'll be great to see you David and I can't think of anything non-scoff that I need right now. Will let you know if I think of anything - oooh yeah, can you pop my BMW 1200 bike in the container. I've left it behind for a mate to flog for me and I think I've changed me mind!

Cheers
B