Re: Anyone involved in this?

Post by JB9 »

No, but I plan to go.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

A penultimate I14 which has been disassembled in the Roadford Dinghy park is by all accounts going as part of the 'Evolution of the I14' scenario, but it is not really representing the CVRDA, and having seen it at Sailsport on Saturday I would be surprised if its back together in time, its certainly not a concours boat, and Tony at Sailsport did not really want to put his name to it.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

It is quite possible that I'll be at the show for both days, so I too intend having a look at this.

BUT - in this case, I will defer to my learned colleague from the East, as he has had far more of 'sticking the oar' in with regard to this. I use the phrase with some consideration, for had he NOT intervened, then I think that there could have been one of the most monumental screw ups, with egg on face all round for the RYA and 14s.

Let me put it to you like this; At Christmas, when this was a breaking story, I fired in an email to the RYA, asking in a polite fashion (we can learn to do a lot of things on here!!) just what the **** the RYA were thinking about. The answer came back, that the dinghy/dinghy racing side of the Association had been 'blind sided' on this - at which point Dave C stepped in and top a few people just how things could be done (as against how they were planned at the time).

Yes, it is water under the bridge but there is a far bigger issue at stake - which takes me back to the recent 'Che Faro' string. It is all too easy to hijack the story of the dinghy for an agenda that does not really stand up - apart from, like Michaels 505 string message, as beauty in the eye of the beholder.

Mr C..... assuming you're awake up there (unlike a certain beer, the smell of coffee has yet to reach all parts) - would you care you add your 5p worth?

Will anyone else be at the show? Fancy meeting for a coffee?

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I'll be there Saturday.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I may be there on the Saturday, but yet to work out logistics.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

We're planning to be there saturday - how about a gathering at 1p.m. at the food/drink bar at the far end of the Great Hall (under the organ I think). :?:
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

We will also be there on the saturday, drooling over the 14s....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

making notes and detailed sketches and taking pics, more like...
Apart from the drool, how will we recognize you, Nessa?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

It strikes me that this string is set to split in two. One string ought to be placed in the under-used "Social Events" (Beer and handicaps) section where it will remain on top of the pile for reference while everybody makes and remakes their social arrangements, and will also serve as an easy reference back to what will hopefully be an opportunity to meet in the real world. :P :oops: :wink: :roll: :lol:

I hope I might be allowed an outing to indulge my pipe dreams and am keen to meet a few i14 historians too, as well as seeing the clinker boat building demo of a redwing, (very similar to my elderly but as yet unidentified old lady, Blue Moon) but I will enyoy also watching all the other plans being made.

The other bit of this string is much more in the Chat area. Rumours and suggestions that there might be some "Queen Bee'ism in the upper echelons of our sport?? Shame on you! :wink: :wink:

Does a polititian file an honest, legal expense account? Have I just created a new Oxymoron?? Does the RYA or for that matter anyone in the top end of a sport have a finger on the pulse of what is happening in the shires? Do they care?? :shock:

Alastair Cooke, whose style I can hear clearly influences certain sailing podcasts, said (of The Catholic Church in America) that "I cannot think of any man that was improved by living in a palace." The same can be said for any high office where there might develop a lack of hands on contact with all branches of the department and like politics it comes down to the biggest lobby.

I am sure that the original intent of an "Historical stand" for dinghies was made with every good intent, and someone no doubt has done alot of good work on the project. The i14 is indeed an exellent example of how dinghy racing has developed in a small section of the country, but there is within the class perhaps some kind of institutional ...what? Superiority complex perhaps, blind spot possibly, maybe even a self esteem issue.The class has to feel that it is at the forefront of development or what is it?

Read Tom Vaughan's history of the class and you see a microcosm of sporting politics. The i14 is merely an example of how dinghy sailing develops. It is fortunate to have sufficient powerful support within its ranks and passion in its following to claim a worldwide English speaking following but as a class its recent survival has been achieved mainly by adopting ideas from outside the class rather than development from within, and indeed there are plenty of examples where the class practically undertook a callipygian (that word again :P ) act of disappearance!

I hope the press will see that there is more to dinghy sailing history than this. While some boats may lake the beauty and glamour of these racing greyhounds they are nevertheless the stock that most of us grew up in and there is a vast chapter to be written on everything from portchester ducks through mirrors and wayfarers and sharpies and canoes and stars and skiffs and scows and...I could go on like the final chorus of Joseph's technicolour dreamcoat.

There needs to be a realisation that i14 is just one branch in a massive evolutionary tree. The news today expressed amazment that in the past 4 years a Professor of paleontology had discovered over 40 entirely new species of dinosaur in the UK alone!! The British Iles apparently acted as a land bridge between the old and new worlds. Perhaps it would be nice if the same could be said of Classic boats. The British Isles acting as a waterway between the different sailing developments.

There is a whole opportunity to create a Linnaean style of taxonomy and classification for dinghy evolution. Those with or without backbones. with or without a keel, Multihulls and down the line to structure.

What will be the neanderthal dinghy?
dinosaur_evolution_poster2.jpg
(37.24 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Perhaps a case of " very callipygian. Shame about the bows!"
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rupert wrote:making notes and detailed sketches and taking pics, more like...
Apart from the drool, how will we recognize you, Nessa?
I will be the one taking detailed notes, taking photos and making sketches.....whilst drooling....

Aside from that I am 5'11" and have out of control hair..... :twisted:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Mr B is right, this has become 2 threads...when I first posted this, I didn't realize that my "hmmm" feelings were rather over matched in certain quarters concerning the "history of dinghies" theme...
And on the other thread, at 5'11" you should be able to spot me if you look down a long way and watch out for reflections off the top of a grey fringed head, Nessa! Mind you, look for pictures of Firefly 2324 around this site and you will get a (vague) idea of what I look like (possibly 10 years ago)...though if the person in the boat has long blonde hair, it isn't me!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

One of the things that I wanted to work on - but am still trying to crystalise the idea, is a chart not dissimilar to the 'Rock Family Tree' that was so beloved of BBC2. So much of the sport is interlinked that you could do a very clever 'how things happened' - but then you'd need a progamme like Google Earth so that you could move over it, seeing the connections.

And yes, there are clearly people in the RYA who care deeply about the sport. I do not blame them for the mess that we are getting into - that said, it is the system itself that is flawed. By giving the RYA the task of winning medals, and then setting up a reward based bonus (the more you win, the more you get) scheme, one can hardly express surprise when it is the elite tail that wags the grassroots dog.

THer could well be a series of podcasts, of a far more critical (of the system) content. Hands up the person who suggested that they be called "the truth in sailing.com" but it might just happen.

Again...watch this space..............

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

Michael Brigg wrote: The i14 ... blind spot possibly, maybe even a self esteem issue.The class has to feel that it is at the forefront of development or what is it?
Certainly a blind spot problem if you consider for how few of the 80 odd years the class existed* it was actually at the forefront of development... 10, 15 maybe? More I suppose if you count the war years where no-one was doing any development anyway.

*I think its fair to say that the I14 class ended when they "merged" with the Australian 14ft skiffs and became an entirely new class that happened to have the same name.