Finn sailing

General chat about boats
PeterV

Finn sailing

Post by PeterV »

DavidH asked the question, so here's the response:

Why sail a Finn?
1. It's one of the best handling singlehanders around, with no vices in strong winds and a good performance in light winds.
2. With such a healthy class and strong competition there's a good flow of quality secondhand sails, spars and hulls down through the 'food chain'.
3. With a big powerful sail it rewards technique and teaches sail control in all conditions.
4. Because the hull is relatively heavy it remains competitive for a very long time. Ben's used the same boat for two Olympics and even old hulls (over 20 years) can be competitive at club level.
5. Old hulls can be updated with a decent rig (secondhand!) and be good club racers.

And, in reference to Rupert's comment, there's 3 options to go fast in a Finn;
a. weight
b. good technique
c. Both of the above.

c is faster but either a or b are quite good!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Brookesy

Re: Finn sailing

Post by Brookesy »

In addition to the above it is also a very comfortable boat to sail in both light and heavy breeze partly due to its relatively high freeboard which allows you to sit in rather than on it.
The low boom is something that people tell me puts them off the boat, but really its height is a bit of a myth, as it is only sheeted down to the deck when beating and as the sheet is eased to tack, there is a lot more room in the cockpit than in a Laser for example ( and no I am not anti Laser I just can not fit one).
In last years Masters in Holland 280 boats took part from 29 nations with oldest competitor aged 82 years of age, and this year in France they are hoping to top that number.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

BUT - set against this....................

Sail a Finn in a 'moderate' breeze. You slog upwind, then get to the top mark, bear away, spray starts flying..... and the chav lass pushing the pram along the shoreline whilst talking on her mobile is moving faster! Do Finns carry depth sounders to tell helms that NO - they have not run aground but that they are actually moving.

OK - I jest.... but the point is, in a world when we're all sailing lighter boats, with more powerful rigs, the Finn downwind is hardly in the same performance league as boats such as the Phantom, Blaze, RS300 etc.

So, back to the question (else I'll get more GBH of the ear for digression) - why do it?

But thanks brooksey, I'm working on making this a 'good' one!

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

http://www.fotozambra.it/ala/index.html
Check out the pictures here at this event and I think it speaks for itself.
Yes there are faster boats, there always will be, I'm not sure about the Blaze, but the 300 and Phantom are not that much quicker, and we destroy them upwind in a blow.
There is no getting away from it, to get the most from the Finn is painfull at times, but the reward of satisfaction after a good sail is second to none. I would agree the weight is a problem when you come to drag it back up the beach after a challenging sail, but then there are a lot of us with masochistic tendancies, so perhaps that is the attraction.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Graham,

all joking aside, thanks. I'll factor those sentiments in to the article

D
David H
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I have only recently got into a Finn, kind of by accident really as I needed a single hander for while my IC is slowly being restored.

I am rather impressed - it is not an easy boat to sail, but not for the expected reasons. Sail setting is very much a brain box activity - its so unlike any other rig that I have sailed. The boat is nicely balanced, easy to steer, hard to hike - but mainly because you have to hike hard all the time, even downwind.

The boom looks frighteningly low - but it is not as has been commented elsewhere.

Time will tell if I stick to the Finn or go back to light, twitchy speed over deliberate, satisfying thought provoking sailing.

j./
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I have only sails a Finn a few times but it is one of the best boats of its type in its class. One small point not to detract from the quality of build, but Ben might have used the boat for 2 Olympics, but it spent 3 3/4 years in store between the two not on the circuit working. :)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

In some ways the weight of a Finn helps it to be more manageable as well as making the hulls long lasting. I remember in the 70's there was a big discussion in the class about moving to a much lower weight. Several clever people showed that if this were done the boat would need a great deal more weight to sail it. Then the Phantom came along and proved the point. If you look at the stats the Phantom is about the same length, beam and sail area but about half the weight. I've tried sailing one and I don't stand a chance whereas, at 12.5 stone I do in a Finn.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
ent228

Post by ent228 »

There is also one other reason for sailing in a Finn......It's the only boat I've ever owned that gives me real constant pleasure just looking at its lines. Even with the 5oh and IC it's still the best looking dinghy around.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Having seen the Finn boys strutting their stuff in what was a very hard win at the Hyeres regatta, I can only say that to sail such a boat in these conditions really is the mark of a sailor.

I have decided however that I can still live without the experience!!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Why would anyone want to sail a Finn?

...because I wouldn't want to get the wrong side of this guy. You'd better offer to buy him a drink David! :?

Actually when he's relaxing I'm sure he's a jolly nice chap!! :lol: :lol:

Michael Brigg