trapeze on ToY?

General chat about boats
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've been considering the rebuild on the ToY I'll be doing soon, and I confess I think the boat would be far more user friendly if converted to Trapeze, especially on our small lake. Any comments welcome...I'm torn between originality and everyday convienience, and the feeling that I'd be letting the Plankers down!
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

NO WAY - stick with the plank, next you'll be fitting an asymetric!:(
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nope, but a low aspect self tacking jib might work a treat!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

The ToY 2000 did have a trapeze. Only 5 or 6 were built and there was one for sale in Y & Y a couple of years ago.

My ToY had a small jib on it added by the previous owner to help her through the wind. I might have it somewhere in a pile of sails........

One planker has converted to a wire (and rack) with an assymetric canoe http://www.intcanoe.org/ausic/aus1.html so if you are going for a wire you should do the decent think and put a huge kite on as well
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Strange, I've not had any tacking troubles, barring the obvious ones of getting myself across the boat without falling over...
I certainly wouldn't be putting racks on, and the whole point would be to make the boat easier on a small lake, so I think a kite is out (breaking the boat also comes to mind, and not being able to sail where I want)
I've been given a big heap of Kevlar rope, so I'd probebly use that as wires. The major snag is that the shrouds are so low on the mast that the wire take off point would have to be a couple of feet higher, I think, which would put rather a strain on things...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert ,
Only a couple of weeks ago you were saying you bought the TOY because you enjoyed the "planking experience" so much.
Enough of this traitorous talk. Stand proud and stick to being a Planker or we may have to think of something else to call you.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

<i>winker </i>: a planker who becomes a wire aficionado (at least that's the clean version)
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I enjoy trapezing too! Only playing around with ideas in my head before the boat comes in for a rebuild. I suspect in the end I'd rather be called a planker than a winker...just the overly short start lines at Whitefriars speaking...I got a Contender up my backside (well, Saskia's) on wed night!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert
Re wire on Toy
The Toy was designed for use with a plank. We had trouble trapping on early hornets because the deck layouts were designed for planking eg veed. You will find that it will be difficult to push off from with your feet without fitting kick off blocks. These then get in the way in light airs as you have nowhere to park your bum. The Toy 2000 was redesigned totally to provide a platform for trapping off. You will also find like we did with the Hornets that in resricted water tacking with a plank is far faster than tacking with a wire. This was very plain to see when the Plymouth Fleet raced at Salcombe. We were wiring they were planking and in the restricted waters of Salcombe we were p....d on. However at the final fling in Plymouth held outside the breakwater in big sea's the Plymouth boats reversed the Salcombe result.
Cheers Al

Ps Who's coming to Plymouth for sheltered sailing inside the Sound.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Alan, useful info. Almost certainly will keep the plank, and keep on hitting marks...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Alan I am hoping to come to plymouth. Just got a family wedding to get out of. Distant relative so should be ok.
If you send me some promotional stuff or post an advert here i will try to get some of the fastsail guys down.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Roger
I,ve posted some flyes's to Chris this morning so he should have some at Shearwater. He has my address and phone number please ask him for them and then contact me leaving your address and I'll send you some more. Cheers Al
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Rupert on crowed startline the Hornets always had their planks out to windward regardless of the amount of wind. I suggest you do the same that will keep a pesky Contender away. If you think it,s hard remebering that you have a plank out, think what its like with a 10ft wide cat and a bow 16ft in front of you. It's amazing how easy it is to forget the windward hull of a cat as you concentrate on the lee bow trim most of the time.
Cheers Al

Ps I hope everyone has a good time at Shearwater.