Roland Europe

General chat about boats
davidh

Re: Roland Europe

Post by davidh »

J.

Ian Ridge was a highly talented dinghy builder, based here on the Hamble. The list of boats that he's worked on is incredible, everything from Mirror 14s/Marauders to the early RS 600s and Laser 5000 tooling. As well as National 12s and Int 14s, Ian also did a number of race winning Moths and may well have been the first person to ever foil a moth (albeit being towed behind a RiB). Amongst these boats there is a very strong trend of Championship wins, for one thing the guy has a lot of is a feel for what will be 'fast'.

He is also famous for his work with the Contender Fleet, in partnership with Tony Smith. Their boats have won multiple World Championships. Sadly, in the end, Ian just got fed up with small boats, as the return on his time was minimal. He is now working in the field of big boats, this week is the the bottom and keel of Leopard that is taking his time.

Working on the red (red no longer - all the dust is on me now!) Contender.... as long as the hull is sound , then the technique is....

Long board the hull with 80 grit

Fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand

Light long boarding with 120 grit

Final check, fill and sand anything you've missed

Spray on 3 coats high build primer

Blow over a very light coat of any dark colour

240 grit back to the primer

sounds easy and in truth, the tasks are not that difficult (getting the finish that will please the man is harder though.... talk about the East German Judge syndrome).

The problem comes if you try to put a value on what is going on. This just would not be a financially viable solution if you were paying the going rate for the work to be done.

D

Spray top coat
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

J,

BUT............

do as I say, not as I do.

have somehow managed to catch finger in the gap between lowers and main shroudplates and now have very bloody finger - with a serious risk that it is broken - which could well put an end to all sorts of planned activities!

Not to mention the fact that it is extremely painful.

Could this be the Laird of Beaver (in Scotland) getting revenge for the act of unity - more likely it is a darstadly east coast ploy - their attempt at gamesmanship!

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Well, I now have the foredeck sanded back, and it looks pretty good, for 35 year old plywood. "Just" the sidedecks, tanks bulkhead, case and transom to do now...and at some opint when the whole world isn't out in their backgardens, as it is somewhat noisy!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

"Varnishing" now complete, and the fittings are starting to go back on. The finish passes the 10 foot rule, just about!
Cleaning the white spider eggsac sruff out of the middle of those horrible square cleats with the single roller was fun...they sort of work again, now. Shame new cleats would cost more than the boat! Only a new hatch and a bush for the rudder gudgeon bought so far, though I expect I'll be needing more when I actually put the rig on the boat.
Hopefully I'll have her out on Sunday, fingers crossed.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hopefully I'll have her out on Sunday, fingers crossed.
Rupert, as a National's hopeful with Saskia you surely haven't forgotten that there's rather a good Firefly open event not too far away from you at Hamble on Sat/Sunday. Don't you want a chance to get another Golden Ticket?! :P

The Solent is a little Smoother as a rule than at Restronguet so you won't even need your "Quells" in the boat but I can't guarantee you won't get windward legs measured in Nautical miles rather than metres! Go on, give your thighs another beating! :twisted:
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We were planning on it, but a combination of child care problems and other things happening has meant we will have to miss it. Shame, really, as I could have done with the practice...
Last night in no wind at Whitefriars I was able to win on the water by a healthy margin - on the sea, I get lost and bored, and come somewhere near the back. Oh, well, horses for courses, what ever that means.

By the way, I discovered that my hatches are made by a German company (I'm at work, so haven't got them here, but it began with an L) so there is no way I can get a replacement cover in the UK. If I can remember to put the name up, would any of our European members be able to see if they can find one for me, please?
Meanwhile, Ducktape it is!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Well, she did her 1st 2 races today, and won the slow handicap in the 1st and won the 2nd outright. So goes OK! She is now for sale, if anyone would like a Europe, but I shall continue to have fun in her until she goes.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

How much? I may know someone
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Nigel,
I've put her up on B&O and Apollo Duck for £350ono.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Now sold to a nice couple in the north midlands.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Well done Rupert,

that should be enough money for the next one (which I cannot wait to see) :)

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Contemplating something non cvrda and almost boringly normal...
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:Contemplating something non cvrda and almost boringly normal...
http://www.dinghyshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/ds_ ... cgi?fs8117 ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just the ticket...I bet a certain RS 500 would still complain about handicap when I beat them on the water...
Rupert