Roland Europe

General chat about boats
ent228

Re: Roland Europe

Post by ent228 »

I think this is the picture that Brooksey remembered, it's in Sailing from start to finish by Yves-Louis Pinaud.
Somewhere he mentions that the Europe has a very long leech so you have to set the boom end and then alter the mast rake to get the leech tension right.
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

That's sort of right but not quite. The boat sails better with the boom on the deck (end plate effect I think). The amount of mast bend controls the fullness of the sail, so you have more mast bend in stronger winds which means putting the mast more upright so it has to bend more to get the boom to the deck. Then the outhaul controls the angle of the leech, the tack the angle of the luff and the cunningham the position of maximum fullness.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

That's the picture I was thinking of, must try to remember who I lent that book to, it really is a good one.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

Nessa

Post by Nessa »

My europe now belongs to da yoof. I took pity on his misery and the fact he was condemned to sail a topper longer than he wanted to. I am going to put on the epoxy and all the missing woodwork, but the fitting out will be his to do. I think it will be good for him to have to actually work things out in a dinghy, plus of course he can customise to his heart's content.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World