Encouraging vintage boats

General chat about boats
Garry R

Re: Encouraging vintage boats

Post by Garry R »

Are you talking Holt built or Holt design. Secret Water qualifies on design but not on builder. I suspect you could trim the numbers to a manageable level if both criteria operated.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I do not wish to be cynical but overattendance is not the issue with any regatta vintage or otherwise these days, need groundbait to drag 'em in! If Jack Holt looked at it it ought to qualify anyway I think he was directing people to Wootons because he was too busy so you could argue even with a purist approach it was sub-contracted!

By the by Wootons built Sopranino the founding boat of the JOG no more than a big decked dinghy that crossed the Atlantic as well, designed by Jack Laurent Giles and his then assistant Colin Mudie who also sailed in her.
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Chris, Roger, Rupert and Pat,

there is something of a trick to this sort of event.

My best guess would be to create a proposal, button it all down really tight with clear definitions of what the event would all be about.

Some short video clips of the 'key' boats sailing can be interspersed with the proposal... along with 'how' the event would run.

By the time you've done all that, a location may well be suggesting itself.

That is then the time to start 'tapping up' sponsors and approaching classes.

I'm currently looking back and trying to find out why the similar event, for Ian Proctor, failed to materialise. It had so much going for it.... yet in the end the plug was pulled and that was that.

But work continues.....

D
David H
ACB

Post by ACB »

Need magazine(s) on side.

Far be it from me to offer any opinion on "Dinghy Sailing" and "Yachts and Yachting", but FWIW I scribble for "Classic Boat" occasionally and can twist Peter Willis's arm if you like as he's an old friend.

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
davidh

Post by davidh »

ACB,

absolutely.... BUT...first have it all buttoned down and tight!

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

It is possible Holt are planning something themselves Jack has no remaining family his son predeceased him and Iris his wife is no longer with us, but the company still carries on Chadwick Beecher-Moore son of Beecher Moore Jack's business partner still runs the company and is very aopproachable.
Simples.