Firefly - single handed handicap

General chat about boats
Penndennis

Firefly - single handed handicap

Post by Penndennis »

I've tried the search unsuccessfully, but I know this topic has been covered ad nauseam. My local club may be about to allow the Firefly to enter the handicap fleet as a singlehander. The Committee want to know what figure the CVRDA set, please.
Pat

Re: Firefly - single handed handicap

Post by Pat »

99 is the cvrda figure. At the club we use Portsmouth minus twenty for a singlehander in handicap racing.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

It will all depend on the attitude of your club and where you sail.

I have argued successfully in the past, that there should be no difference for sailing single-handed from the normal handicap in a Firefly....on the one proviso, that you stick to sailing single-handed for the whole series and do not just drop your crew when the wind is low, which is sheer opportunism and should not be allowed, whatever the handicap. I know some clubs openly use a 'punitive' handicap for sailing single-handed, more to persuade people to not do it, rather than to try and provide a fair handicap.

We have discussed this much in the past, but for myself, I am quite sure that although the Firefly has a distinct advantage by sailing single-handed in low-wind river sailing or small lake, there is very little advantage to being single-handed on a larger lake or sea in low winds and a positive disadvantage on large lake or sea as soon as the wind raises above F2.

Although the Firefly can be sailed single-handed in F3-4 (or above??), it is really very hard to do it with any grace or with any speed and is much easier and faster with two crew.

If you are going to change a handicap then it should be done in relationship to the water you sail on.

For sailing single-handed on an evening series on a river, taking 20 off would seem very sensible and the Firefly would still do well if sailed well.

For sailing single-handed on an autumn series on large lake, estuary, sea, I would be very surprised if anyone could be competitive with the normal handicap and it should most probably be raised by 20 to give you any chance at all.

My recent experience of sailing single-handed off the normal handicap at Saltash, was always very much a case of a direct relationship with the wind-strength. If the wind was low and there was lots of tactical tight tacking against the current, I would do well, but if there was much wind around and/or long reaches or runs, I would have next to no chance at all.

Glad you are doing it. I think sailing the Firefly single-handed is really great fun and I might well be doing it a bit myself soon at Roadford.

Which deck layout do you have? Do you cleat to windward or leward?

Tell us what your club decides

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
ACB

Post by ACB »

In my club (DYC - upper waters of the Deben estuary) the Firefly has the advantage of sitting on the dividing line between the fast and slow handicap fleets, giving the choice of either. Also, of course, it shares the same PY as the Streaker.

For the avoidance of doubt* - PY 1162 so singlehanded on quiet water = 1142 and singlehanded on open water in a wind = 1182?

* and out of enlightened self interest... :)

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Penndennis

Post by Penndennis »

I'm hoping to come to Roadford in August, so may see you there. Club is Nottingham SC so quiet river sailing summarises it beautifully. Singlehanded fleet is lasers and solos, double handers is largely Albacores and GP14. When numbers are low, they chuck them all in together.

Currently sheeting to leeward, with jib cleats mounted on the thwart. Mk1 deck. I am less than half way through restoring it, and will tackle the foredeck and centreboard casing next winter. However, she is sound enough to sail at the moment.

Thanks

Bill
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We race singlehanded off 1142, but there is no doubt that as soon as the wind gets over about a force 2 the Firefly is faster with a crew. In a drifter, though, unstoppable. Our Firefly will be at Roadford, too - see you there!
Rupert
ACB

Post by ACB »

Rupert wrote: In a drifter, though, unstoppable. !
That's because, in a drifter, there is simply nowhere for two people to park themselves, in a Firefly - you both want to sit on the lee side of the thwart... if there is one of you you can sprawl out there and tweak sheets, kicker, outhaul and what you will at your leisure...

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

This is why so many Firefly sailors end up marrying their crews - one gets cosy in a Firefly in no wind! Actually, though, as a helm in the really, really light stuff the crew makes life far easier, acting as a counterbalance...However, it really is hell for the crew!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:This is why so many Firefly sailors end up marrying their crews - one gets cosy in a Firefly in no wind! Actually, though, as a helm in the really, really light stuff the crew makes life far easier, acting as a counterbalance...However, it really is hell for the crew!
Didn't used to be - only now your Charlie has got big enough to grumble! :D Did he not used to hide under the thwart and crew for you in the drifters from there? I used to do that with my light weather crew in the Lark days :evil:
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Legend has it that my old helm Stevie Vines wrapped his baby son in a blanket, get his bow bag down a little and went sailing with Chris tucked up asleep in front of the mast as a crew...
Chris was a toddler when I first knew Stevie, so whether the story is true or not I don't know!
Rupert
Steve Bailey

Post by Steve Bailey »

Bill
Your request was approved at last night's sailing committee meeting, provisional PY 1142. If you start a series single handed and then race with a crew it will count as a separate entry, so you can't just leave the crew ashore when it's not windy and take him or her when it's honking. Seems fair enough.
See you Saturday if you're out.
Cheers
Steve