ToY goes well!

General chat about boats
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

This week I found a perfect "new" sail for Tonka, and I took her out for 1 last sail before the rebuild, in a stonking force 5, and had a great time! Very strange bow down planing angle - I'm glad she's transom heavy - but really flew in the gusts! Now in the workshop for the rebuild - hope she'll be out in the autumn! I may well be posting some dimensions of things like centreboards & rudders over the next few weeks to see if anyone has anything tucked away they want to dispose of...
Rupert
Mark

Post by Mark »

Nice to see you got back safely........it has been very quiet on the forum this week !!!
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd noticed that, too! The Firefly SWs went well (better than expected - we weren't last!) and was great fun, even though I had absolutly no idea where the windward mark was most of the time! And that funny salt stuff in the water...whats that all about, then?
I hope to confirm with Roger that I can crew him on the Hornet at the weekend, unless he has found another, so I'm sure I'll get plenty more experience of it!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Tonka is now Black on the bottom (International front door paint) and yellow on the top (Wickes exterior gloss - International don't make paint for yellow front doors). The black was lovely to use, went on great with a roller. The yellow was possibly the nastiest paint it has ever been my misfortune to use. Very runny with poor coverage, and if you did get it to cover, it ran. Worked better thinned for the 2nd coat, and better still with sand in for the complete aft end of the boat.
Now comes seat building time. thinking about a monorail type approach at the moment, so I can use less wood in larger pieces and so keep the cost down. It would also bring the seat forward a few inches, which would be better, I think, for someone my size.
Then its find six cam cleats time, for the controls. Anyone got any they want shot of, please, maybe because they are too modern for a rebuild of a genuine classic?!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

are you after six that match? I have these but one is slightly different - any good to you?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

They look perfect, thanks, Neil! Would you swap them for a whole load of brasswork?!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

that sounds like a good idea. If you need them soon email me your address and I'll send them on.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith