Some thing you've never thought about..

General chat about boats
Rupert

Re: Some thing you've never thought about..

Post by Rupert »

roger wrote:AG looking for a good lugsail Dinghy? Look no further than the family of Scows from the Solent. All slightly different. Lets see if i can get them all?

West Wight Scow,
Lymington/Hurst/Keyhaven
Bembridge
Brading Haven

Rupert are there any others?

Still thriving at Yarmouth and Hurst not sure about the others but I guess they are.
Not a Scow anorak, I'm afraid - I'm sure each village had their own variation (which no one else could spot!) in the old days...
The different plastic versions (Keyhaven being one?) also have different names, to add to the confusion.
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

May I refer you to my previous answer I'll add that good as scows are not for my purpose!
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Are boats like local wines? Great when you sail/drink them where they are supposed to be sailed/drunk, but, like a Spanish wine brought back to Britain, disappointing in the wrong place?
So a Solent Scow is not the right boat for the east coast?
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

A very good analogy Rupert in this instance anyway, can't think of that at the moment just gone a over t and pulled both hamstrings, ultra sound becons.
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ouch...
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

West Wight Scow,
Lymington/Hurst/Keyhaven
Bembridge
Brading Haven
I know of at least one or two Portchester Ducks, and at the head of Portsmouth Harbour, there is a regular fleet of Fareham luggers sailing every Sunday morning until the bar opens.
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Looking up Scows on google reminded me of the "Chichester Scow," another one from the solent and recently commisioned by Bosham sailing club. The design is in fact only 4-5 years old so local wine is still being produced.

I never quite understood how a scow developed from a name for a single lug sailed beginner such as this one... Presumably from Cowes??
sCOW2-1.jpg
(26.66 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
... for which the name is appropriate.

...to the flat bottomed and blunt ended flyers refered to as Scows and similar shown below, but Andy Williams comment...
Remember when you are learning New skills it does not matter how complex they are as they are all new. So throw in a spinnaker trapeze etc they don't know any better and are therefore not worried by them.
Would seem entirely appropriate!!
ugly%20scow.jpg
(31.66 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
As AG said...
The late Jack Knights once suggested that any child who rewad Swallows and Amazons should then be able to sail a boat...
...But then modern education seems to think reading any book other than Harry Potter or similar is a bad thing.
Harry Potter fans will notice that someone has conjured up a "Dark Mark" from the spinnaker!
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The picture of a Melges Scow (Several types and sizes.) reminds me of three summer months with The Universities sailing team in the USA and Canada a bit of which was spent on The Great Lakes team racing in Cat (Una.) rigged scows, the overwhelming memory is how the things slammed to windward and how big and powerful everything was. Not a bit like a Fireball.

What, Dr Brigg, pray, is a Dark Mark?

Presumably the other "scow" is a rather pale Fresian?
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

AG, the Dark Mark comes from those books you feel have stopped people reading Swallows and Amazons.
Personally, from what I've seen of my son and his friends, if you get people hooked on reading something like Harry Potter, they will continue to read other things afterwards, having discovered that books and the imagination can be every bit as exciting as computer games.
Rupert
David HL

Post by David HL »

If you are teaching them to helm, then use almost anything roomy and stable, with a reduced sail plan, should work. I''ve used a 505 once, and a Javelin many times. With a 60-70 odd sq ft main and an old jib rolled up to half its size, you have amazing control under force 5. The more girlfriends you teach the better teacher you become! Of course a Javelin is just too young and doesn't qualify. I have thought of trying my old Finn with an A rig (small) RS300 main, that cocks right up high. Has anyone taught a girlfriend in a Finn? Maybe I'll try it this summer when the water's warm. Trouble is she is 6ft too.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Yes Rupert, I had worked out the source, but what is it?
I do agree that anything that gets them reading is good,
but am currently bemused as to how a young graduate of my acquaintance managed to get a First in English from Bristol University without reading Dickens, Chaucer, Shakespear or the existential or lalkeland poets or Oscar Wilde, she did INdian Literature in English from 1948 onwards, more Mastermind than degree course I would have thought!
Having said that I managed a grade one Eng Lit at O level by only seeing (Several times.) the films of Julias Caesar and Great Expectations and not reading them at all!
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It is the symbol the Death Eaters send into the sky when they have perpertrated some act of violence or hatred. The Death Eaters are the chief baddie's cohorts.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

As for the rest, I'm a voracious reader of trash, I'm afraid, and the classics are beyond my wit to comprehend.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

One student we know is studying Ancient History at Reading (appropriately) and her thesis is titled something like "the use of ancient history in Harry Potter books" which is a great excuse for in depth reading of all the books.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Yes times are bad a friend of mine has a PHD for research into the social history of the Rolling Stones but did get to interview Mick and the lads.
Cheers Al