Gone wooden

General chat about boats
Brookesy

Gone wooden

Post by Brookesy »

Well I've finally gone and done it.
In preparation for the Classic Finn Series I have very reluctantly parted with my Vanguard to fund my new baby, although it has gone to an excellent home and will be doing the series in the capable hands of James Cole.
In its place, I have acquired a beautiful wooden Taylor, 'Mickey Finnale', the boat commissioned by Vernon Stratton in 1973 as his last Finn and with the agreement of the Technical Committee, as the prototype double bottomed hull, which set the style for the construction of all modern Finns.
It is in superb condition as it has been in dry storage for the last ten years ,and will need just a wash and brush up with a few lines etc replacing before she joins the Roadford Fleet.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
FDGorilla

Re: Gone wooden

Post by FDGorilla »

As the man says, I've only gone and joined the Finn Fleet - No brain? No Pain! Sail Finn!!

So excited about getting back on the water properly again after what seems like forever. Just need to get fit now......

I spent a lovely day tinkering yesterday with Robert sat in the cockpit explaining how it was actually 'our' boat and that he was going to sail faster than daddy by using his 'special' sail. A chip off the old block, he's clearly going to be the Measurers Nemisis at Opi events in the future!
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Brooksey

Okay - have uploaded the info and added a few extra bits in as well. Let me know what you think, I can always update/modify as required but better still - I can create 'new' entries as the series develops so that the story remains in the public eye.

Interestingly, Robert Deaves sent me a copy of the Finn mag and I have to say that I'm impressed.Once I have the woodie contender all sorted - and the Smokers up together, I'm going to dabble myself in a Finn (hold on a tick!! What did I say just then? Help, is there a Doctor on the forum? I need help and fast.... my mind must be going, I thought I almost committed to doing some Finn sailing just then!).

Mind you, Rod Cobb over at Suntouched - the UK importers for Devoti Finns, has been threatening to get me in a Finn and maybe now is as good a time as any to show intent!

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Article looks good David.
Now you really do have no excuse for not joining us in the series, and Im sure we can find a boat for you. There is plenty of time between now and Whitefriars so start eating those pies...
GBR74 ex custodian of
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey

Have been trading emails with Mark down at Waveloft - so there could well be a follow up posting with yet more info. That is the trick in these cases, keep the info trickling in, as that maximises the exposure.

Ditto Rupert with details for the association - whereas in the past, all too often good copy just never made it up on line, now I'm involved, I can make sure that the CVRDA stuff gets well placed.

Regarding the Finn - I've yet to hear from the good (??) medical man of the CVRDA to see if he can treat this latest outbreak of rash behaviour.....I'm just hopeful that there is a cure for thinking about sailing a finn!! I hope so....

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just loose a few stone and think about sailing a Europe instead!
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

David, I am pleased to say that we have two doctors entered in the series so we may even be able to arrange a consultation on the water.
GBR74 ex custodian of
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey

Cor... be scared, be very scared!

Would YOU let a Finn sailing Doctor anywhere near you? I was lucky, my GP was a Merlin Rocket man and therefore a known quantity. But being seen by someone who you knew was out on a Finn at the weekend...... then hearing the sound of the latex glove. No - the mind boggles! I'd even risk a firefly sailing quack (if at deaths door and unable to express a contrary view)... could be worse I suppose, could be a Finn sailing Doctor from Brightlingsea!
It's called the Inquisition!!

BUT rather than risk it I will agree to come and sail - and BTW, you may get your wish to have a crack at the D-One. I'm waiting to hear if I have one to compete in the Exmoor Beastie at Wimbleball next month! Bring a finn along and we can both get a sail in!

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I'm tempted to do the Beastie, I'll see if I can persuade some of the other Finns to join us.
GBR74 ex custodian of
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey

I covered it for the mag last year and for once it was far from being a beastie, more a pussycat.

Will we get the same benign conditions 2 years running????

could be a bit of a hoot in the D-One"

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm hoping to sort sailing that junior Finn, the Lightning, in it. Be good to see you there.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

Not sure if it was the year before - or the year before that, but it was 'wild' - with the emphasis firmly on the wildness being afloat and nothing to do with any possible felines! An evil place in a big breeze..... but equally, a lovely place when the conditions allow. Nice as well to see Supernovas and Tasars in numbers!!

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I sold my Finn to a sailing Doctor - one Frank Newton who is these days your licencing doctor if you are a UK GP Driver and your race officer of choice if you wish to race in the UK, he even comes with his own committee boat "Sawbones".
Simples.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Don't worry Dave, we never bothered with Finn's in Brightlingsea, to far to pull them at low water and two hulls or a plank were so much better :D :D :D :D
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ancient Geek wrote:...own committee boat "Sawbones".
Sorebones I believe...