Finn Masters 2010

General chat about boats
Brookesy

Finn Masters 2010

Post by Brookesy »

I am pleased to announce that Roadford will be hosting the UK Finn Masters over the weekend of 10/11/12 September.

To clarify the criteria used for entrants, Masters are 40 years plus
Grandmasters 50 years plus
Grand, Grandmasters 60 years plus
Legends 70 years plus
The 11/12th will be open to those of more tender years, and we will also be providing prizes for Classic Finns.

So no more excuses David, wether you borrow a new or old boat you will be eligible for this one....

More details will follow once we progress the planning.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Rupert

Re: Finn Masters 2010

Post by Rupert »

So will there be prizes for grandmasters sailing boats as old as they are? And if the Finn is old enough (1950 or 1949?) you could have a great grandmaster sailing a 60 year old Finn?
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I know of one Grandmaster with an immaculately restored mid fifties boat, who will attend, although probably with his new current Devoti, but I am not aware of any 60 year old boats in use. The 60th anniversary of the Finn was last year and the oldest boat we have in the country resides in the Maritime Museum in Falmouth which I'm not sure but I think is K3.
Incidently there is more than one Grand, Grandmaster and one Legend currently competing on the open circuit in the UK.
So your suggestion is not that wild Rupert.
GBR74 ex custodian of
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It must be one of the good things about having a high minimum weight - plenty of strength in the boat to help it stand the test of time. I'm impressed the sailors last as well, what with pulling them up the slipway and all!
Thing I like most about the Finn is the tumblehome at the transom. Do they still have that? Must mean a split mould for construction?
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I think the Maritime Museum also has "Seawolf" K52? a Fairy hull finished by the late Peter (Fireball.) Milne subsequently it was Brian Saffery-Coopers first Finn and then gifted to the museum by himself and Peter Hunter
Simples.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I am not sure if they have a Finn on display at present, but the last time I saw what I think was Seawolf it was in the store in the sort of condition where I would want change out of nominal £1!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Oh dear, what a pity, such a huge shame..........

9-20th September I'm Race Officering at Hayling Island for the Laser Masters Worlds.

So I will not be able to come to Roadford. This is such a great blow to me, I'm not sure how I'll be able to wipe the smile from my face.....

But seriously, had the dates not clashed, I'd have been there - honest!!

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Its okay David, and I know there is no truth in the rumour that you volounteered your services to the Lasers this very afternoon.
GBR74 ex custodian of
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Looks like I'm going to have to make two trips to Roadford this year.

Rupert, the tumblehome is only on wooden Finns, that's why they look so nice!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

John A's old plastic Finn is blessed with it too.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Sure is. How did they get it out of the mould? Perhaps you can slide the hull forwards and then out as the tumble is not all that long from the transom.

Actually, the transom is not completely flat either - it is slightly convex. Very nice. Are Wooden ones convex or boringly flat :twisted: ?

Anyhow - 10, 11 and 12 September well, school has started back so the Friday is not possible. 11th and 12th maybe, I will do some plotting with the family - e.g. not forgetting its 14th in a few days time!

@-) - and I'm a grandmaster! Sounds daft since I never won anything in a Finn and come to think of it, nothing outside of our club racing either (a few places here and there). But its the sailing that counts. And my Finn at Roadford sounds like a good combination.

j./
Pat

Post by Pat »

9-20th September I'm Race Officering at Hayling Island for the Laser Masters Worlds.
You got it then? Well done and do you still want an ARO?
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

errr.....yes.... I'm 'in' though I am already experiencing what the Americans call something along the lines of the 'pucker factor'!!

As I understand it, there will be multiple courses with the fleet ( I'm hearing 400 boats) being spilt across a number of divisions. I'm off down to Hayling shortly and will find out the rest of the detail then. In the meantime.... I'm with the same team at Weymouth (why do they still call it Weymouth when in reality it is Portland) doing the RYA Youth Trials in early April. So, pretty soon I should have a very clear idea of what is expected of me - do I need to bring a 'team' along.

I can forsee many issues, not least being the one of accomodation. There is no way you can park a camper van on site and the nearest caravan park is a good 20 min bike ride away (not to mention being nice but pricey!). So.... plenty still to sort but like I say, by the time of the show, I should have most of the answers. But I already had you well pencilled in on the resource list.... but just stop for one moment and think about this...Laser Masters..... heap big issues all round!!

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Are you sure you want to do this?
Remember the late Frank Dwyer (Doyen of all race officers.) had ulcer troubles at several regattas!
As "Mr Swann" (aka Swanny.) "PRO" and "Gunner" at Lowestoft and Oulton Broad used to say "I warned thee"!
Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

If you have 400 Lasers how the hell do you know which is your boat in the morning or are you allowed to grab any boat you like as being a n SMOD they are all identical (aren't they?).