Towing with Metal Centre Plate in Place?

General chat about boats
simon-t

Towing with Metal Centre Plate in Place?

Post by simon-t »

Hi all,

My Firecrest 15 has a very heavy metal centre plate. I have been told I should remove it from its housing in the boat before towing.

It's a beast of a thing and a big hassle to get it in and out of the boat, especially if the wife and small daughter are the only helpers to hand.

The other problem is that it is almost four feet long so a pain to transport any other way. I certainly would not want it inside the car in the event of an accident!

So which creates the greater risk - towing with the plate in place or dropping the damned thing through the bottom of my clinker boat as I try to wrestle it in and out?

Regards,

Simon.
Ancient Geek

Re: Towing with Metal Centre Plate in Place?

Post by Ancient Geek »

It never did National 12's pre 1967 not Firefly's any harm to tow with plates in I suggest a load of old tosh!
Simples.
chris

Post by chris »

I agree that it's ok to leave it in place, It wasn't a problem with my 1948 Nat 12 and Iska's wooden board has a large amount of lead on it. I just wedge a piece of carpet in the top to stop it rattling around.
The only other lesson I've learnt it to make sure it is well cleated in the away position before you launch otherwise it drops as soon as the boat slides away from the trolley and sticks in the mud .
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Theoretically it can put a strain on the hull (far less than actually sailing the boat, I'd have thought) but I would say it is far less of a problem than putting it in and taking it out would be, both on the boat and on your back. As Chris says, wedge it with carpet, if only to stop one of the many worrying clanking noises coming from the trailer!
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Finns have an 11kg alloy plate and never really poses a problem. I always ensure it is tied up rather than cleated and some even drill a hole and run a pin through to ensure it is fixed whilst in transit.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I rest the tip of mine (Finn) on the trailer chassis with a rubber mat twixt. Seems to me sensible to reduce the weight on the hull as much as one can when the boat is bouncing along much more vigorously than it would on water?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Seem to have put that one to bed!

I agree....have found putting the heavy jollyboat plate (65lbs) in and out to be far more dangerous than carrying the damn thing in place.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I would also have thought that putting a pin through the plate and that then resting on the top of the centreboard case would have the weight then bouncing on the case - effectively the weakest part of the keel/hog/case area of the hull. If it rests on the trailer then that's where the weight will be. The carpet or rubber mat is a good idea though as you will protect the leading edge of any centreboard.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Astroturf or closed cell foam make good trailer cradle covers anyway and if the cradle is in the right position it supports the centreboard so it can't drop down.
Only time we've removed a centreboard, other than in the workshop, was on the beach at Netley to get pebbles out of the slot gasket!
simon-t

Post by simon-t »

Thanks to all for your comments.

The plate does rest very comfortably on one of the trailer rollers so it isn't going to drop during transit.

I think from now on it will be travelling in situ with a piece of carpet shoved inside the housing to stop it rattling about.

That's (literally) a weight off my mind...and my back!

Thanks again.

Simon.