National 18

General chat about boats
National 18

National 18

Post by National 18 »

I would love to hear from anyone who sails a National 18 outside the main centres at Tamesis, Bosham, Blackwater, Findhorn, IOM and Cork. Please email [email protected]
Rupert

Re: National 18

Post by Rupert »

Welcome to the site, National 18! I grew up at Tamesis, so have very fond memories of National 18's. Whereabouts do you sail yours? It is a class that I would love to see at a cvrda event one day, so if you happen to be near one of our events, you would get a warm welcome.
Rupert
National 18

Post by National 18 »

Hi Rupert

I sail a modern National 18 in Cork Harbour. However we are hosting the class championships 'Cock o the North' in 2011. We are trying to get as many classic 18s together as possible to take part in the event. There are 4 in Cork so we are hoping to get them out but want to try and attract some visitors too.

I have contacts at the main 18 centres but I am trying to see if I can find any other classic 18s sailing out there anywhere that may be interested in the classic event. If you come across any in your travels you might let me know.

Fair sailing
Peter O'Donovan.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Peter, that makes a lot of sense. Hopefully there are connections on here, though most of the 18 sailors I remember would be silver surfers!
Rupert
Fantasia

Post by Fantasia »

There was a classic 18 sailing in last year's Chichester Harbour Fed Week, sailed by the Harbour Master (and excellent helm) John Davis. Sadly the first race was quite windy and I seem to remember hearing that her wooden rig went over the side. I hope that she is mended and you could get hold of John D through the Harbour Office http://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/Contact-Us/384/
John Hartley
Wayfarer 7628 - Fantasia
International 14 521 - Tiptoes
50% Victory Z68 - Zarena
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

My Dad had an old Uffa Ace 18 called Phantom in the late 50's built by Andersons of Whitstable, He sold her in 1962 & built a glued clinker one Also to the Uffa Ace design, Marlenemar as she was called was a beautiful & wickedly fast boat. My first memory of sailing is of that boat. Aged 3 snuggled under the foredeck & the smell of damp cotton sails with the noise of the water rushing under the lands.
She was renamed Tipple & later converted to a cruiser. Lord knows if shes still going.
National 18

Post by National 18 »

There is a record of a boat called Phantom with sail number 53 on the class website. The last known location is in Ipswich owned by a D Allen. Could that be th same boat?
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

Yep thats Phantom no 53, Marlenemar / Tipple was no 263.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I thought that you might be interested in this photo, Peter. It shows an International 12 and a couple of National 18s at Boyne Yacht Club, Ireland, in 1959.
Steve
Attachments
Boyne-Yacht-Club.jpg
Boyne Yacht Club, 1959
(36.62 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
Steve

Post by Steve »

And, for good measure, a couple of recent pictures from Switzerland. This is N234 'Angela' at the 2009 Régate des Vieux Bateaux on Lake Geneva.
Steve
Attachments
N18_234-2.jpg
(59.46 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
N18_234-1.jpg
(37.9 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I have just heard of one - in need of renovation - locally (South East Cornwall). No idea what the situation is with it, if anyone is interested I will follow up.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Rupert I have no idea when you grew up at Tamesis but do you remember Lawrence Hartje (Sailing Secretary.) a National 18 sailor who cruised his 18 from Tamesis to the Blackwater every summer, and his son Will (Who sadly died last year.) Will was my last Merlin Crew and Godfather to my children, I was a member of Tamesis from about 1964 to 1970 as one of the undefeated Merlin Rocket Team (That's why I was asked to join!) representing Tamesis. Two of those boats still race with the MR Vintage section and occasionaly I think CVRDa 1097 Flinkidink and 1222 Restless IV sadly 1523 Beat Nik is no more. (unless someone knows better?)
Simples.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Well I have a glass 18 up here in Wales no 276 which needed a total rebuild of all her wooden bits.

I decided to take a flyer and have taken her out of class by fitting a Lugsail rig on her [a la Surprise down in Fowey]. The reasons for this are myriad, but I do most of my sailing s/handed so I wanted something I can dowse quickly, but with enough power for the light stuff.

I've configured the build so that I can revert to a bermudan set up if I want, but this is unlikely to happen.

I have 29' of N18 proctor mast going cheap if anyone is interested.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
National 18

Post by National 18 »

Would you have any interest in coming to Cork next year for the Class Championships and Classics Festival? With the Swansea Cork ferry back in action it could not be more accessible. Do you have any contacts for other Nat 18s in Wales?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

AG, I was there from about 1975 to 1986 or so. I know the boats - The Page's boat 1222 especially, but I don't recognise the name. The top N18 sailor when I was there was undoubtedly Murray Vines, sailing Genivieve, which I believe was the first of the plastic boats. I believe Jeremy Vines has continued the Vines tradition in the class. I remember a big stir when the 1st of the more modern plastic boats came in, built far lighter, by the look of it, and with trapezes.
I can also remember being on the underside of a clinker 18 with a dolly while new rivets were put in. Makes your arms ache!
Rupert