Unit 7, again

General chat about boats
Peter H

Unit 7, again

Post by Peter H »

As some of you may know, I bought the boat for all the wrong reasons, but have really enjoyed sailing her. Since Shearwater I’ve even been able to go to windward whilst on the end of the slide.

I suspect that her stern dipping characteristics are due to a combination of my extra weight, (David Thomas was no heavy weight when he designed her), the weight of the slide, (which must be twice the weight of the much longer slide on my old Canoe) and the fact that the mast has been moved substantially aft..

However, some experimentation on these matters must take second place to some much needed restoration. Her varnish is peeling off, revealing very little adhesion between varnish and wood, the trim to the cockpit edge is loose in many places, her transom is showing signs of stress, and she still has the damage caused by the collapse of her trolley when combi-ing back from the club.

None of this is beyond my ability, if only I had somewhere to store her in the dry and to work on her, but my garage is too small to get her in and move around her. I’m keen on her preservation, and so there seem to be three possibilities for good, and one for bad.

1/. Someone else might like to take up the challenge and reap the reward
2/ Someone near West Molesey (Kingston upon Thames) might have a suitable place for me to do the work or
3/. Someone might be able to store her until better weather, when she could be worked on under canvas
4/ Neglected, she will go downhill, and is unlikely to be seaworthy for much more than a season..

If anyone can help, PM me and we can discuss the matter.

Peter H
JimC

Re: Unit 7, again

Post by JimC »

Peter H wrote:2/ Someone near West Molesey (Kingston upon Thames) might have a suitable place for me to do the work
I know Thames SC has sheds in which space is rented out to members, but I don't know what sort of pressure there is on space. In the winter I imagine its crammed full of Raters...
roger

Re: Unit 7, again

Post by roger »

Its a challenge I have managed to find a corner of a barn for the geep but its a squeeze.

Peter if I had the time I would love to take her back to bare wood and redo her in varnish. Unless the paint is hiding something horrific I think she would look great alongside the fireflies and Albs and J boats. Unfortunately I havent even had time to look at Shoestring yet and she has been in the Shed since Bough Beech. I did turn her over last week which is a start :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353