The Lost Classes will Rule........beware

General chat about boats
Nessa

Re: The Lost Classes will Rule........beware

Post by Nessa »

my other choices for David's mystery boat are the Typhoon and the Challenge. he is annoying me now by not 'fessing up....but he knows that!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Patience ever patience and joy shall be thy share!

Incidentally, the word Patience shares the same latin root as the word 'passion', - so now you can all be passionate about being patient and think of the good it will do your souls!

Here endeth the lesson for today...am now back to writing about INternational Moths!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Patience ever patience and joy shall be thy share!

Incidentally, the word Patience shares the same latin root as the word 'passion', - so now you can all be passionate about being patient and think of the good it will do your souls!

Here endeth the lesson for today...am now back to writing about INternational Moths!

D
Nessa wrote:...he is annoying me now by not 'fessing up....
I think we shall have to start a dirty tricks campaign. This is getting to be almost as competitive as the Auld Mug!

Who Ever Said Patience is a Virtue was a Lazy Man :twisted: :lol:
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Thing is if David wants to bring a lost class to an event it has to be recognised as such by the "relevant authorities"(check the constitution) so he will have to "fess up" fairly soon. Of ourse said relevant authorities may be bribed to keep quiet. :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There will be a special dispensation for a Whitefriars member at the Nats - his boat is only about 5 years old, but it is a GRP version of an 1893 design, complete with gaff rig, and will look excellent in the photos, and is great fun to sail.
In fact, I'm thinking of seeing if there are others with such boats who would like a get together, as I suspect they will do the parties no end of good!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

roger wrote:Thing is if David wants to bring a lost class to an event it has to be recognised as such by the "relevant authorities"(check the constitution) so he will have to "fess up" fairly soon. Of ourse said relevant authorities may be bribed to keep quiet. :shock:
Can't wait for the handicapping committee to meet. Perhaps an addendum of x points deducted for y amount of column inches generated in speculation. :)

If it is a Zenith then it's not lost - we found Keith's at Roadford a few years ago :wink:
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
davidh

Post by davidh »

Good thinking Neil...BUT... if I go all shy and retiring, does my handicap go in the other direction?

Have just found a whole box of old pictures - sadly, though they may even be of classic boats, they might just have 'me' as helm or crew and in deference to the handicap issue do I have to publish them under a 'nom de plume'?

One of the pics is off Merlin 610... then there are Leaders aplenty, old fireballs (just for chris turner)ents - all sorts of things!

promise to post some pics of the NLC soon......

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

David - send me the pics and I'll put them on the gallery - it's much better for the bandwidth.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I heard that the Zenith was known as the 'poor man's Merlin' .......
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

that doesn't seem very fair to either boat.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I read it somewhere and it's really annoying me that I can't remember where. But David will know, now that he has one...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa wrote:I read it somewhere and it's really annoying me that I can't remember where. But David will know, now that he has one...
Troll!
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Yes, I have one, Merlin that is.......... what is left of it after Roger the boat breaking Commodore and supercrew Jon have done their thing!

Nessa, I think I have seen a comment along those lines - I too am racking my brains where I saw it. I will check later this evening, there is one place where I think it may be.

ED.... I do not think the comment was made in an unkind or malicious way - it was, I seem to recall, meant more along the lines that whereas the Merlin was very much the development class, the Zenith was easier in the way of construction, one design, yet shared many of the Merlins handling and design features...

and that got me thinking - inspiration, the quote is from Searle in 'Inshore Dinghy Sailing' where the comment is attributed to a Zenith owner! How is that for a Troll (can I now sing " foll da roll)?

So there you have it, I think the Zenith would be a lovely boat for CVRDA racing and is surely part of the genre 'banditus maximus' - but sadly, is not a boat for me!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think a better rule, Neil, is that every time a person says a boat will be a bandit, (and they own one - bit unfair otherwise - Finn's a Bandit!) it gets a couple of points knocked off the handicap. By my reckoning, if DH owns a Marlin, it's handicap will be about 80 by now, and the Zenith will have started to drop.

So, David, is your new boat going to be great on handicap?!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Search on the word Bandit reveals some posters are now running a negative PY :wink:
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith