The Lost Classes will Rule........beware

General chat about boats
davidh

Re: The Lost Classes will Rule........beware

Post by davidh »

Now Rupert... that really IS putting me on the spot rather. If I answer truthfully, not a soul on here will believe me, instead they will say it is a self justification plea for sympathic treatment. If I fudge the answer the result will be the same.... you'll all still think I'm "swinging the lead".

But here goes, scouts honour, being as honest and as truthful as I know how (and that one won't wash, that's for sure) taking the oath with my hands resting on a pot of SP106 rapid hardner - no, the boat is going to be a total dog on Handicap - at least, inland and on restricted water. A breezy Roadford would be okay, but then I'd expect to do well in those conditions anyway.

I cannot tell a lie (so said Harold Wilson - but that in itself was just one big one) but in the months leading up to christmas I did indeed look at a number of various options and a Zenith was one.... Lazy E another, Hornet..FD even - what I wanted was plenty of sail area and a hull form that would carry weight and to cap it all I wanted a boat with a handicap on the far side of an Oppy! Maybe that is a tad of an exaggeration but the intention was there..... but then a boat with some real history came my way and that decided matters.

I have no idea how the boat will go once I've cleaned the foils, sorted out the mast (round tubular limited swing spreaders....yeuch) and taken all the horrid tufnol cleats and blocks off - can do a job lot on these once they've been removed, then rerigged the boat with at some the minimum of control over things like kicker and clew outhaul (one is a 4:1, the other 2:1, not sure which is which as neither work anyway). I'll probably go for as good a hull finish as I can get, longboard, high build, spray, longboard and spray but all this will count for little if the boat itself is 'wrong' (and again - I just do not know). What I can tell you is that a well know Merlin sailor raced the boat and reckoned it stood more chance of winning best of breed at Crufts than winning a sailboat race, my task is to prove him wrong. And in the end, even if it is a total basket case, it will look great and will have advanced the cause of the lost classes wing - something I am quite passionate (remember, same word root as patient) about.

I hope to start work very soon - will post pictures and put you all out of your misery!

The boat will be our steed for Bough Beech - Trevor, can you lay on 20Kts + again this year it is the only chance tis thing will have!

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

davidh wrote:the boat is going to be a total dog on Handicap - at least, inland and on restricted water. A breezy Roadford would be okay, but then I'd expect to do well in those conditions anyway.
Peregrine?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
davidh

Post by davidh »

Neil.... I wish you could see me laughing right now!

A Peregrine.... I'd post some pictures soon but even I wouldn't stoop that low. We had one at Netley Cliff - and a Wildfire - so slow! But ultimately these boats led to the Tempest - not everyones cup of tea but in many ways a high water mark for Proctor in pure 'race boat ' terms

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I heard a rumour it was a fully pimped Skipper14 David..
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

ooh! I hope he has polished up those chrome handrails!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm wondering if DH has gone the "family" route and bought a Beaufort? Matches the M14 handicap, good in a blow, jib a little smaller than a 505...
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David
Fancy that did you find a Hotspur, Hexagon or Hooligan. The biggest dogs of MR that we sailed at University. If fiberglass they will be well overweight by now.
Cheers Al
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I was wondering if he has got himself a Tinker......But, alas, they are not a lost class.

http://www.tinkerowners.org.uk/
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry Al, you may know your Hornets but you clearly do not know your Merlins.

Hotspurs and hexagons were Keith callaghan boats with a great track record out on the cicrcuit - whilst the Hooligan was a Phil Morrison boat that admittedly was not one of his best but if you were a lightweight - you could fly! Interestingly, we had a rare Hooligan in the CVRDA but I think it was sold on...

None of these were available in grp. The early GRP Merllins could go heavy - but then the early grp hornets were just as bad!!

I have a ssneaky feeling that the GRP Merlins are not even cvrda- able yet.... so we will stick to the dear old woodie

Have found some great hornet shots and a picture of Strangler outside of the tent (neil hutton and margy in the tent) the night we accidnetly set fore to the campsite at Abersoch...

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Based on my humble experience of sailing the above boats at University. We all hated them too wide and dish like swamped if roll tacked hard. They did not perform as well as the narrow MR's on the pond we sailed on. May have been alright on the sea but as inland boats not very good. I never started the fire I was just arseing about officer. Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

The word is that Nessa is having a hard day of it today so to bring a smile to her face and to fire the inspiration a tad more, here is a picture that Dave Whittock sent to me (again - thanks Dave), one of a sequence taken at Portishead.

I just love this shot as it just shows what a super job Peter Milne made of the lines - this really is a very well thought out approach to getting the most out of a 14'6" hull yet making it a boat that is accessible to most club level dinghy sailors (maybe a lesson there for more modern boat 'developers' to think about!!).

Looking at this picture makes me want to finesse Nessa and get an M14 too - but this season is already maxed out with Merlins and the NLC (I tell you this for free - I wished the nlc hull form looked as good as this) not to mentions Contenders, 505s and Race Officering!

But... I do look tlook at this and think "yes please". Big Al will hate me for saying this but in breeze, a well sorted Marauder gives a better sailing experience than the Hornet!

Way to go Nessa - get sanding!

D
Attachments
Mar-6_cvrda.jpg
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am indeed having a bad day, just made a lot worse by a stonking great steroid injection into the back of my shoulder. I still can't decide about the ebay hull or my own, but one thing's for sure, whichever involves less arm action is the winner!

Thanks for the photo; I do love the hull shape. I must do otherwise it would have been firewood by now!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

SaturdayGirl wrote:I know ...

Starts with the letter H
$(KGrHqEOKpYE1qzggcf3BNe2zv1zww~~_12.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/peterhyndman/PDRinfo/

Well now it looks as though ebay got there first. Here, from somewhere way out West is a "N.L.C." exactly as described by David. Bit of a bandit, (apparently has a planing hull form), bit of a dog, good weight carrying, and even some antipodean input on the drawing board. :? :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wooden-Sailing-Di ... 8009475646

Looking forward to Whitefriars then... :oops:
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

Michael Brigg wrote:Well now it looks as though ebay got there first. Here, from somewhere way out West is a "N.L.C." exactly as described by David. Bit of a bandit, (apparently has a planing hull form), bit of a dog, good weight carrying, and even some antipodean input on the drawing board. :? :lol:
Hmm, that's (or was) my old Harrier's mainsail. Guess that must have bitten the dust then.