Weight for a Harrier

General chat about boats
angus

Weight for a Harrier

Post by angus »

I have been offered a Harrier and I am wondering if my 10 1/2 to 11 stone (closer to 11 so soon after christmas) might be a tad on the light side any body out there got any idea?
Rupert

Re: Weight for a Harrier

Post by Rupert »

Maybe depends upon where you sail? On a small lake you'll be fine (I took one out in a bit of a blow, at a similar weight, and coped) but if you are somewhere where you can be powered up a lot of the time, on the sea or a large expanse of fresh water, I suspect you will find it very hard work.

Others will have more experience of them than me, mind.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They are wide so that helps a lot.

I always thought mine would go better with a lot less weight in in and be far more comfortable as you will spend far less time kneeling in the middle of the boat instead of sitting on the side.

I would say go for it. If you find it too hard when it gets very windy, just find a smaller sail.

It is not the old yellowish decked one from Bristol Avon is it?
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

hmmm, have to say the one at Hunts (small gravel pit) is sailed by a fairly hefty chap (15 stone ish)....plus a friend borrowed it not long ago who probably weighed at least 13 stone and he was overpowered in the gusts - probably f4 gusts.

I would say that you're not going to have the most fun, and could enjoy yourself a lot more in something a lot smaller.

Sorry
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
GAv

Post by GAv »

I was going to get a Harrier with a Phantom tin rig, last summer,but that fell through. I wish I could get back down to 15 stone, however having got my Merlin Rocket on the water(I do need to address a leaky bailer though) I have prevaricated lately on getting on with the rehulled Fireball-or it will be one day.
At your weight I would have thought a Streaker would be ideal, or maybe a Lightning 368(never sailed one)even a Comet, albeit they are very light. One that sails in my club does so on a slow handycap basis so that can be an advantage. I wouldnt recomend a Solo as Jack Holt found his difficult to haul out of the water so it is said designed the Streaker for that reason.
I am just a big fan of Streakers, I had one renovated in time for the Nationals At Ardleigh that very year and did another one up, which must have been a farmed out(Putney overorders dictated a subcontract kit and hull builder I believe),Midlands one, even if accounting for a deal of black rot it was certainly made of a thinner guage ply to the first one.
Ill health actually dictated my hard labours being passed onto a new custodian but hey I enjoy that side of boating nearly as much as the sailing.
JimC

Post by JimC »

angus wrote:I have been offered a Harrier and I am wondering if my 10 1/2 to 11 stone (closer to 11 so soon after christmas) might be a tad on the light side any body out there got any idea?
The standard rig is so horrendously floppy I cannot imagine it being a problem. Before I sorted it out I sailed mine in a Force 8 and honestly didn't realise it was that windy!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Coincidentally I got an email this morning saying the Harrier at hunts might be up for sale. ifanyone is interested let me know,
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
angus

Post by angus »

I forgot to say it is a Harrier+
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Harrier plus is a different kettle of fish. It is, as you probably know, a harrier with a phantom rig which makes it more powerful. I do think you'd be overpowered and there are so many boats out there that would be more suitable and provide more fun.

If you are interested in a streaker let me know.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The best thing is to go for a trial sail in the Harrier + and see how it feels. If you can't do that where you are I could get you sail in a Harrier here at Hunts so you would have an idea of what it's like.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
angus

Post by angus »

Thanks for or your comments. It looks like I may be a bit overpowered but I have been offered if for free so I think I will give it a try,
Thanks for the offer of a trial in a streaker Nessa but I am up near Perth so a bit of a long trip
GAv

Post by GAv »

Nessa I may be interested in the Streaker, if you could PM me some details please.
Thanks GAVin
davidh

Post by davidh »

Angus,

I think the key things will be to keep control of the mast whilst you have the boat in the Harrier + format. Of course, if you're getting the boat cheaply or for free, it should not be hard to return it to something akin to the standard harrier (handicap is a lot better) but with a working, stable rig!

D
David H