Classic Family Day Sailer - advice requested!

General chat about boats
aviateam

Classic Family Day Sailer - advice requested!

Post by aviateam »

With a growing family - two children who both love sailing - I am wanting to up-size from my Mirror which Dad and I built 40 years ago to a 2/4 person classic dinghy that we can all enjoy cruising in, or two can sail the Mirror and two the classic.

I like clinker construction for longevity and a drop keel is ideal to allow trailer sailing and easy home storage.

I am considering the following:

1. Family 14 (14ft Twinkle)
2. Tideway 12
3. Hurst One - still trying to find one!
4. (Poole) Dolphin - found one but they would only sell it if I sailed in Poole!
5. (Looe) Redwing 14 - apparently if fitted with the original iron keel they sail like a yacht and are quite stable

I would highly appreciate advice from those familiar with these types as to:

1. Their suitability for the mission! (e.g. is a Tideway / Redwing big enough for 4 people on a gentle day cruise, is the Redwing as described going to fit the cruising bill etc)

2. If you can recommend other suitable / similar types

3. If you have one / know of one for sale, even a restoration.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Michael Brigg

Re: Classic Family Day Sailer - advice requested!

Post by Michael Brigg »

There is a Jolly boat up and running and begging for a home in truro, giveaway to a loving home. OK its not a clinker but... Fantastic exciting or great family runabout, definately a Classic (with a capital "C") and much easier launch and maintenance. Great eye turner and something that will be the envy of tose who see her... Advertised on this site.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3231

I think it is also on appollo duck, with a picture...

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk ... ml?cid=729
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Whilst the Jolly boat is a very good dinghy (though I fear that it may not be as good a boat as some may wish it to be) I would have to say that given the criteria that you've set out, the Yachting World Dayboat would tick every box - and more! Can I suggest that you look at the YW DB - which also has the advantage of being a 'current' class as well as a classic!

D

Link below
http://www.ywdb.co.uk/
David H
roger

Post by roger »

You could also add to our list of boats to look at the Lymington Pram also a current class and new ones being built in plastic now. If you really want a project my father has one in the garden that he would gladly give to a new home but it would be a serious project.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
GAv

Post by GAv »

I know its not what you are after but may I politely sugest a Puffin Pacer.
12' 08" with about 5 ft beam and a nice double chine line leading to a sharp bow, these are great all rounders.
I had one for about 3 years. I seemed like a cross between a Mirror, inside and Enterprise, a smaller lighter Jack Holt design for Puffin Paints in fact. but with much less sail area.
A guy bought it for his son's 14th birthday needing some varnish.
They kindly wrote, that XMas, telling me the son and his mates set to and got rid of the rough edges. A conflict with an Oppie dictated a repair so full repaint(in the same Orange she had always been-I got her off some retired fruit farmers, so it had been barn dry stored(they actually gave up sailing and got into gliding prior to retiring).
The sails are something like polyeypropeline(or maybe urathane-not sure)
The mast in 2 sections but with hallyards and stayed, with a kite option, nice fast fun boat, single double or 4 up cruiser, last used in the West Mersea club's round the island race.
I saw her on EBay last year for a lot more than I let it go for but looked pristine in the pics.
A much overlooked class both in wood or GRP.Image
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Tideway is probebly a little small if you have outgrown the Mirror, but there are some delightful clinker dinghies out there. YW Dayboat is probebly the easiest to find, but a Lugsail always makes for a great looking cruising boat, thanks to Swallows and Amazons. Trouble is, classic cruising boats always go for far more money than classic racing boats...
Rupert
kfz

Post by kfz »

Might be a bit modern for your taste but how about a GP14 or a Wayfarer. The GP arguably the better racer and the Wayf the better crusier.

Kev
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I have owned a YWDB and it is perfect for cruising. Spacious for its size (much more room than a Jollyboat) and stable. Be careful of rot but I recall everything is pretty visible.

I have a Jollyboat but would not really call it a family cruising dinghy though it is lots of fun and considerably quicker than a YWDB.
Harrier 25
505 7163
roger

Post by roger »

Day boat has a great handicap for racing. Notice I didnt say bandit but they are very spacious ideal for cruising and competetive if you race. Very active class association as well.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

Many thanks everyone for your valued advice. Your personal experience of sailing these boats is invaluable to me.

Thanks also for the JB suggestion. I love the boat but it is just too big (long) for the space I have for home storage.

I am very tempted by the YW Day Boat, ideally an early clinker with Gunter rig, but at least a wooden mast. It seems practical for 4 people and quite stable. There is also quite a large fleet at Bosham, not far from where I sail at Itchenor.

The Walker 14 is still tempting (stable, Gunter rig, just enough space) but hard to find.

I have signed up to the YWDB association website and will post a wanted notice there.

If anyone can put me in touch with a clinker YWDB or Walker 14 I would really appreciate it ( [email protected])

Thanks again for all your advice and support in the search!

Paul
roger

Post by roger »

There was a very nice wooden Dayboat at Clwedog last year looking a bit sorry. Kieth Rollinson is theman to contact.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

Roger, many thanks

Would anyone have an idea of the price ranges that wooden early YW Day Boats normally change hands for?

I know the question is as long as the halyard, but any input would be appreciated.

Paul
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In the racing classes review, the class think betwen £500 and £2500 for 2nd hand, which covers a wide spectrum...
Rupert
kfz

Post by kfz »

Actually I know where GP14 Sail number 3. 1949 is available. Shes has modernised fittings but think she has the wood spars. I think the seller is looked for a faithful restoration as part of the deal. From what I can tell shes in sailing condition or not far off.

GP is an ideal family boat, what it was designed to do.

Kev
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

Roger, good afternoon.

Could you contact me regarding the Lymington Pram?

Many thanks
Last edited by aviateam on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.