how do these work?

General chat about boats
Nessa

how do these work?

Post by Nessa »

or even, do they work?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... 1-24-11-58

damaged screw removers from Aldi. Should I be rushing down there this Thursday?

Last week I got some pick and hook things that look scarily like dentists tools, and a big workshop lamp. I should be going to Lidl today for sanding dsics, but that means going all the way to Snots...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Re: how do these work?

Post by alan williams »

Hi Nessa
They work by cutting their own thread anticlock wise. You then apply a suitable socket and turn anticlockwise on the head of the eaziout and it removes the bolt. I have never tried them on screws and was not aware that they could be used on wood screws. I have in the past used them to extract broken engine mounting bolts and cylinder head bolts.
Cheers Al
Demon

Post by Demon »

Some times known as "easy outs"

If they are cheap, dont tuch them! They are designed to cut into steel as Al says in an anti clockwisedirection, once tight it is supposed to start undoing the screw/bolt. Normally they snap as soon as you put any weight behind them unless they are of a very good quality.

Cheers

Mark
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'll second Mark's comments. I've got a set and they've never yet managed to remove a broken stud or screw, if they don't break (mine haven't yet despite being over 20 years old) they'll just grind away the metal, leaving you less to work with.

I removed the broken keelband screws on my Enterprise project this weekend by cutting back the wood a bit so that I could get Mole grips a purchase. The holes are now filled in!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Looks like Aldi will be without my custom this week then. Probably a good thing...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Tip for using easy outs always soak the broken bolts with plenty of penetrating oil and leave for several days before using the easy out this nearly always works.
Cheers Al
kfz

Post by kfz »

Should be made illegal. Be the first Law I'd pass. The spawn of the devil. Please dont use if you have hearth condition or prone to stress.

The only valid use I would consider would be on the inventor himself.

Kev
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

well, my fireplace is in good nick but I do have mental health issues, so I'll steer well clear... :lol:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Coming down with flue?
JimC

Post by JimC »

kfz wrote:The only valid use I would consider would be on the inventor himself.
I think that's OTT. They definitely work in the hands of the skilled. They do, however, required skill and much experience of the materials to use. Not a tool for the amateur. As a basic guide if you can't be sure of drilling the pilot hole precisely down the middle of the snapped screw or bolt you shouldn't even consider them, and really I don't think its wise to use them unless you have someone with you who has the right skills and feel to teach you how to detect that you are using the right amount of force. Even though I have seen them used I still lack the skill and won't use them myself...
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

To remove screws it's important not to ruin the head at the very start as once it has been chiggled then it makes the job very difficult. So what I do is try to clean the head first to see if there is a slot at all and before having a go at it at this stage I get a small soldering iron up to heat and place the iron on the head - this often seems to break some sort of "corrosion crust" between the wood and the screw or possibly varnish the screw may have been dipped in. Be very gentle with the unscrewing and if there is a slot in the head then use a screwdriver which is a good fit. One too small will twist out damage the head. If all else fails I will use a 1-1.5mm drill and drill a few holes down the side of the screw and then use pointed nose pliers and screw it out - you will be filling the hole anyhow. When putting the new screws in I follow my dear old dad's advice to wipe the thread with candlewax. Time consuming but not so time consuming for the next person in 30 -40 year's time!!!!