I hate sellling boats! (An update on Iolanthe K556?)

General chat about boats
Ed
Site Admin

I hate sellling boats! (An update on Iolanthe K556?)

Post by Ed »

Buying and Selling classic boats can be a pretty fraught situation at times.

When I bought Iska (Merlin 6) off Laurie Smart, it was for very little cash, but the deal took weeks to negotiate, simply due to the number of the 'interviews' which I had to pass before getting the go-ahead. I even had to attend an UTSC mid-week evening meal and have a run of conversations starting: "Ah, so you are the man who wants to look after Iska...

Finally, it was agreed by all, that I was a safe set of hands and I was allowed to take on the responsibility of ownership of Iska. A boat I enjoyed greatly and of course I was simply delighted after a couple of years to pass on the responsibility of ownership to Chris, totally safe in the knowledge that Chris would care for her even better than I could.

But it wasn't like that when I sold my 1949 Fairey International 14 - Iolanthe K556.

I just had too many boats and although I loved the 14, since moving out of Bristol and away from the docks, I just didn't have a real need for her anymore. If I wanted a big fast double-hander, I preferred the Jollyboat.

So it was time to sell her, but that just wasn't easy. I spent years looking for someone I could really trust. No-one wanted to take her on from within the CVRDA and in the meantime, I lost my 'inside' storage and Iolanthe was having to live under tarps in a friends field.......so the need to sell was becoming more and more urgent.

She was still in pretty good shape - certainly the hull was fine, although there was a few things that could be done with the rigging......but the varnish was beginning to look like it could do with some patching.

So I did really need to sell her!

Anyway, finally someone rang up and we negotiated a price - maybe a bit lower than I wanted, but it was more important to me that she found a good home.

So, the new owner turned up.....and I went through that angst of "will she be safe...." "will I end up seeing her for sale on ebay for 99p". But in the end....hey-ho, she had to go, He seemed to have his heart in the right place, so the deal went through and off Iolanthe went.

Then I didn't hear anything for what has seemed like ages..... I was really beginning to worry and often thought about getting back in touch with the new owner just to check up.....but what would you say? "Oy, I have just rung up to check up that you are looking after the boat I sold you the year before last?" I would imagine I wouldn't get a very nice answer and what if I was told "Oh, that old thing.....sailed it once, it sunk near the pier, we pulled up what was left and now it is a garden ornament". So I just told myself to move on.....

But my guess is that many of you know these feelings only too well....

So I know you will understand my curiosity when I saw the owners name apply for registration on the forum...

of course I asked....

and you will also understand my complete delight to be sent these photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/ed.bremner ... directlink

remembering that in the past she was like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/ed.bremner ... directlink

So I would also like you all to give a very big welcome to the proud owner and forum member:

Harry - Welcome to the Forum! I hope you have lots of fun here.

I really hope that we will see you and Iolanthe at a CVRDA event as soon as she is ready and back on the water.

eib

ps hope it is OK to show your images on here.... :-) will remove if you want.
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Re: I hate sellling boats! (An update on Iolanthe K556?)

Post by Rupert »

Can't see the photos, Ed!

Nicely written, by the way - love the twist at the end...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Sorry, you were too fast for me - they should be there now.

I thought I could embed them with the google images viewer, but it didn't work

I am sure I have worked out how to do this in the past....anyone remember how to do this?

I know we can embed you-tube stuff.....but I thought there was a way to embed other viewers like the flickr or google ones.

Anybody had any luck?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Demon

Post by Demon »

Looks good for an old girl!

Prefer to use Photo bucket for hosting photos, much easier as you just copy and paste the links and it puts the photos in your posts!
chris

Post by chris »

I used to enjoy the sight, at Baltic Warf in no wind, of Stu poking his head from under the jib of Iolanthe and laughing at everyone!

Hope to her back on the water too.

PS still enjoying Iska by the way - hope to sail her a little more often this year.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Was he was laughing at 'everyone'?

I thought he was laughing at me!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Just - beautiful.

Well Done Harry!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
HarryH

Post by HarryH »

Thank you all for the nice comments about Iolanthe, she wouldn't be as up together as she is, without all of Ed's hard work replacing rails, agba etc etc. I'm now looking forward to some good sailing this season.