Womble Moth and 1970s racing!

General chat about boats
JimC

Re: Womble Moth and 1970s racing!

Post by JimC »

slendotnet wrote:...most of it is grainy photos and the old yearbooks.
You will really struggle for photos. People brought up in the digital era don't appreciate how rare decent sailing photography even as recently as the 90s. Unless you have a hell of a budget to license stuff from the few pro photographers who were about (and are now understandably desperate to get some kind of pension equivalent income from the stuff they've spent a lot of money storing) good images are going to be few and far between.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I have quite a few photos from that era and I have been digitizing my slides and negatives.

I don't have any building plans; as a first step I would suggest contacting John Claridge at Lymington:
www.johnclaridgeboats.com/Contact-Us

as he and his brother-in-law Mervyn Cook designed the Magnum series of Moths and the Chelsea Morning design. Also he may know how to contact Peter Conway, the designer of the Womble, as they worked together.

From the Moth archive that was started but disappeared, it might be possible to source the contact details for Chris Eyre (designer of the Lucky Sixpence, Nervous Breakdown, Stockholm Sprite and Poacher) and Sean Cox (designer of the Hoplopteryx, Demon King and Dragon).

Good luck.

Paul M
slendotnet

Post by slendotnet »

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already been able to get in touch with Mervyn Cook and he has been more than helpful. Him and I are working with John Claridge to see what they have and try and save as much as possible and get it digitized. Also thanks for the connection between Mervyn and Peter Conway. I'll check with him on that.

Thank for the names on the other designers as well. All helpful information that leads me further on my quest.

Cheers
PaulM wrote:I have quite a few photos from that era and I have been digitizing my slides and negatives.

I don't have any building plans; as a first step I would suggest contacting John Claridge at Lymington:
http://www.johnclaridgeboats.com/Contact-Us

as he and his brother-in-law Mervyn Cook designed the Magnum series of Moths and the Chelsea Morning design. Also he may know how to contact Peter Conway, the designer of the Womble, as they worked together.

From the Moth archive that was started but disappeared, it might be possible to source the contact details for Chris Eyre (designer of the Lucky Sixpence, Nervous Breakdown, Stockholm Sprite and Poacher) and Sean Cox (designer of the Hoplopteryx, Demon King and Dragon).

Good luck.

Paul M
Nels Drugge
International Moth Archive
http://international-moth-archive.org/
International Moth - Magnum 5
slendotnet

Post by slendotnet »

Hey All,

Since there seems to be a few people still watching this thread I figured I would post a quick update. I have been able to get Mervyn Cook and John Claridge on-board and they will be providing me archived materials and plans. I have also been able to get in touch with Chris Eyre and I am working on contacts with Peter Conway and Colin Brown.

If anyone has access to other designers or any archival materials please let me know.

Cheers
Nels Drugge
International Moth Archive
http://international-moth-archive.org/
International Moth - Magnum 5
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

hi there,
I have been working with Roger Angell and Clive Everest building their current boats.
Roger has a pretty extensive archive, including a lot of the original colour photos from the yearbooks,
i will private message you his email address.
cheers. Dan.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Shaun was last heard of Sheep farming in New Zealand,
Cheers Al