Inland v Tidal

General chat about boats
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Inland v Tidal

Post by Ed »

Well, if it hasn't gone....it has gone very quiet.

But I think they had problems with storms and their wonderful club-house on the edge of the dunes.

I only sailed there once.

It was a right giggle.....very rufty-tufty.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

What about Frampton on Severn if you go above Brstle? Never been there, but they have moths and I've only ever heard good things.

Are you coming to Bristol Avon?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

So that is Shirehampton by a small majority then? :shock:

Seriously, that is a lot of clubs with recommendations in a relatively small area. Are we a stronghold around here?
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Nessa wrote:What about Frampton on Severn if you go above Brstle? Never been there, but they have moths and I've only ever heard good things.

Are you coming to Bristol Avon?
yes - nice club, friendly folk. You drive past the longest village green in the county to get there, and then there is not a lot of water....
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
davidh

Post by davidh »

cor...Shirehampton!

Strange things happen to young and impressionable Merlin Rocket sailors when they get lured by the sirens of Kings Weston into the dark nether regions of Penpol woods!!

I was scarred for life at Shirehampton - I'd have been safer sailing a Finn at Plymouth!!!!!!

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi All
I've been rather unwell the last couple of days, so I missed all this chat, but thank you so much one and all....too many to mention individually,....and I'm still digesting all this information, but I'm definitely starting to get a "feel" for the area, and have started doing virtual tours of some of the places mentioned so far.
Next time I'm in Bristol, Lynne and I are going to tour housing areas that look affordable and try and work out roughly where we're likely to end up (all this is assuming we decide on the Bristol option....there may be other options, but we won't know for a while yet). Then we also want to try and look at all the sailing points locally over the summer, so we may well bump into various folk on our travels....I have to say Shirehampton and the docks look a good combination (I even saw a possible house for sale within cycling distance of Shirehampton)......but I hope to be at the Bristol and Avon event anyway, so may meet some of you then.

Oh, and Rupert, the sailing canoe idea is excellent, and had occured to me, inspired by something I saw advertised recently on eBay, along with memories of one that used to sail in Chi harbour many years ago.....an easy and lightweight addition to the (dwindling) fleet..... :)
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

be careful, there are definitely parts of Bristle to be avoided.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa.... agreed! There are parts of Shirehampton to be avoided too.... but you can say the same about anywhere these days!

Are you going to make it to Bristol Avon Nessa..... with or without the purple monster!

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

We've already seen some of the areas to avoid in Bristol.........but then I'm used to living with the ruffians around here......moved from one side of the tracks to another in the interest of investment.....and the advantage is that scruffy gardens full of "things" is the norm here, so we're going to have to mend our ways when we move again :D
Sami.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If you need any local knowledge, shout.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks Nigel, will do :)
Lynne's been off on her trusty bicycle today and with me on my pc giving instructions by txt (I'm @ home this weekend) she found Shirehampton, and thinks it's lovely there.......although windy down at river level.....I assume it funnels up the valley. Hopefully I'll be up there to have a look round soon.
Sami.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

davidh wrote:Nessa.... agreed! There are parts of Shirehampton to be avoided too
I happened to visit Bridgwater at the weekend. Shire cannot compare. The local greeting was "Gimme six!"