Inland v Tidal

General chat about boats
cweed

Re: Inland v Tidal

Post by cweed »

My two pence thoughts....
I find that being a member of a reservoir club that sailing is restrictive due to club hours and days and is conditional on safety boat cover. Cruising is also limited, as there's only so much interest in one patch of water. I'm also a member at a Chichester club and the self reliance when cruising is not such a bad thing, so I can sail at my discretion. Tide and weather make life more interesting, but for racing the better fleet is the reservoir, with the harbour club being more handicap, and sparcer number of boats.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes I think those are the points that are bothering me really.....I'm a free spirit, and if someone tries to tell me what to do and when, it really takes the fun out of it. I grew up sailing by myself all round the harbour from aged about 12, and that freedom is hard to put aside. At the same time I am very bad at doing new things/strange places (I get panic attacks sometimes) so this is going to take some thought.
I take your point, Ed, about trying each place, and having just had a look at the club on google (now I know where to look in the docks), I have to say that seems like a good starting point, thanks.
Sami.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Sami

you will be very welcome to try Shirehampton sailing club in Bristol. Friendly, much cheaper than everywhere else. with ever changing conditions to keep it interesting. Constrained by the big tidal range as any coastal club will be in this part of the world but that is all part of the fun.

Individual Membership £55 Per year (£42 if paid before 1st February)

All Members of Family Inclusive £55 Per year (£42 if paid before 1st February)

Space in Lock-Up Dinghy Park £55 Per year* o (£42 if paid before 1st February)

Or just come down as my guests & see what you think

http://www.shirehamptonsailingclub.co.uk
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

For the free spirit......the docks must be the place to be!

you can sail any time of day or night, with or without support. (although the slips close at dusk)

Easy racing if you want it....but you don't have to ...if you don't want to.

If you want to meet club people, remember that they race Saturdays around early afternoon. They don't really have much of a club-house....just a nice big pub. So go get a drink at the Cottage and hang around.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd echo Ed, there. Bristol Docks is an odd place to sail, but does have plenty of water, really. Good place to base yourself while settling in.

If you do end up north east of Bristol, then the Cotswold waterpark could be worth the travel, but peobebly not if you have to go through Bristol to get there.

One thing that could be worth looking into from the "going somewhere" perspective is sailing at one of the lakes/harbours normally, but also own a sailing canoe - go off paddling and sailing on the Avon - you can get a long way if your mast will lower to get under the bridges! Very peaceful, if not quite the harbours round the Solent.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

The only things I would like to add are as follows:

South Cerney Sailing club is a gravel pit club just like Whitefriars, Cotswold and Bowmoor Sailing clubs.

Reservoirs have a habit of being emptied, just when you want to go sailing - and they can stay empty for far longer than the heat wave carries on for - i.e. a very long time. They are also generally overseen by some sort of oppressive local authority that can further curtail ones enjoyment as already hinted.

At our gravel pit club, you can cruise whenever you like - they do offer some guidelines and there is a 2 boat rule in the depths of winter. Racing/Training is for the weekend. But that does not stop you from cruising on the water as well.

Being centrally located (Swindon)...Or in 'the middle of nowhere' if you like, does have its advantages when striking out further afield though.
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Sami
I've only sailed open meetings at Portishead, Thornbury Regatta, as well as hornet team racing and open meetings at Burnham on Sea in the sixties HATED IT !!! Short fifty yard tacks up the banks to avoid the tide, mad dash to the windward mark. Under/over stand and you are just washed down or up stream as the tide is so strong. In a blow it's like sailing in a dirty washing machine as the sea is so confused. The water also tastes horrible and the mud is really difficult to clean form your sailing gear.
I'm as you have gathered by now, not impressed with Bristol Channel sailing.
Cheers Al
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

sounds about right....

don't think there is any sailing at Bunham any more....though might be wrong. Uphill has gone to.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Pat

Post by Pat »

Get in touch when you want to come to Bristol Corinthian as a visitor and we'll sign you in. Plenty of space now the water's back and there's a Wednesday night summer series as well as Saturdays and Sundays. We're at Shearwater too as are Roger and Chris, although that's small but very friendly.

Ed's right about going around all the places - the "round the island" channel race at Clevedon is now on our "must do" list as we've heard so much about it. You could have a great season just doing opens and visiting us all for the allowed number of times without actually joining anything (except the cvrda of course).

And when you get really homesick it's day trip-able to the Solent!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Pat, how long is your trip from home to Cheddar? We will be about 5 miles from Cheddar. How easy would it be to pick up a crew given that Trish's back is still not 100% - actually she will be lucky to sail this year.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am surprised to see no one has mentioned Station Pond!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
highburyal

Post by highburyal »

Have I missed something, or has no one mentioned Lydney YC.Lydney is a small club with non - competitive racing on the upper severn estuary, but also a dinghy fleet keen on cruising (been as far as Ilfracoombe and Lundy) and trail away weekends. Could be your thing for get away from it all cruising, but the bridge toll would add up if you stayed east of the bridge.
davidh

Post by davidh »

sami...

another shocking confession......

For a good salty water solent sailor. I think the comments made about the Docks are spot on! I found that although the area for sailing is limited, it has a certain quirky charm - if I was in Bristol, I think I'd be there without a doubt!

Interesting that my attempts at being subtle about what I said about Chew were quickly capped by others - so going back to your earlier 'criteria' Sami, I'd have to say that the CVLSC - whilst a superb club (and incidentally a happy hunting ground for me results wise in the past) would be low on your list of potential locations

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Nessa if that's the Station Pond we know as West Wilts Youth Sailing at Westbury.......... the title says it all. Courses only, and adults doing capsize drill flounder until they realise they can stand up!
chris

Post by chris »

Interesting to hear Uphill has gone. That's where Merlin 507 came from.