Everything but Faireys at the bottom of my garden!

General chat about boats
solentgal

Everything but Faireys at the bottom of my garden!

Post by solentgal »

Ok, here are a couple of pics of my set-up:

This was my winter solution.....all changed around a bit at present so I can get use the garage a bit better.......Mirror no.36 hanging up, Europe on it's side (not ideal, but carefully supported) Fireball 573 on bottom of a 420 gunwhale-hung trolley that has a fence post across the supports with Europa Moth 2539 on top. I put my old skateboard under the front of the trolley so I can pull the whole lot out when I open the door, works a treat. I have tube lights rigged up on wandering leads so I can suspend them wherever needed, lots of white paint and a convector heater bolted to the wall.......cosy!

Lark 1494, Pacer 105, R*ndar 420, Merlin 3003, Europe K11, Snapir 420, ToY 76, (and out of sight, a GRP pacer and another Snapir 420)
The paving slabs are going down as hard standing soon which will make life easier too!

I'm losing one of my lodgers from upstairs soon, and that room (15 X 11.5) will become a sail-loft, and a sewing machine is on the shopping list .........(I can hear the cries of anguish from here, :D )

Anyone else want to share their set up?
Sami.
Rupert

Re: Everything but Faireys at the bottom of my garden!

Post by Rupert »

This is all I have in at the moment - a Selway Fisher canoe, Puffin and Mirror. The Puffin was certainly a candidate for the scrap heap, but telling a 7 year old that was beyond me, so she was rebuilt instead.
Attachments
garage 2.jpg
garage.jpg
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I do like a 'what's in your workshop' thread.

strangely, for the first time in about 10 years mine was empty for a short while. I'd forgotten it looked like this.

It was full until recently with this:

completely on topic as the Land Rover is the same vintage as my Raudaschl Finn :mrgreen:

Now the workshop is clear I have a rolling programme of:
  • Don't buy any more boats
  • Sort out Solo
  • Rannoch the IC gets a revarnish
  • Elvestom Finn gets a rebuild
  • Zenith, the B Class gets a total restoration

that's the next 2 years sorted.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Love the Land Rover, Neil - first car I ever drove after passing my test (in a Micra, I think) was a long wheelbase landie with an engine out of a boat in it, which jumped out of 4th gear all the time. Drove it from Bristol to lands end to pick up a Morgan Giles 14. Quite a trip in a car that didn't do 50!
Rupert
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

Sami,
I have an industrial sewing machine going spare if you are looking for one.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hmmm... Meryl, whereabouts are you, that may be a possibility, thanks.

Rupert....love the canoe....and tell me it wasn't worth it with the Puffin.....I'm sure there was a very happy youngster when you finished..... :)

Neil......has nobody told you that Landy's are PINK........green is sooo last year....my ambition is a PINK V8.........and fuel @ 10p a litre.......used to have a white v8 safari back in the day,... sigh :(
Sami.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Garage envy, it's a terrible thing.
I was pleased with the cradle I made so I can store the Enterprise on its side in the garage and still get the car and motorbike in. Now the Finn's in there as well the car's outside. As I'm now painting the Ent, it's on trestles and I can only just get the motorbike in and out each day. A double garage is never big enough!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
JimC

Post by JimC »

I think I hate all of you...

[single garage and no way of getting boats into the back garden without cutting down about three hundred trees]
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

Sami,
I am in Chippenham, North Wilts and the machine is at my daughters house in Gloucester. It was used to make the interior leather cushions for a camper van so pretty tough. Let me know if you are interested, the space is being turned into a nursery.

As for garages, I haven't seen one end of mine for years, ex partners junk still not moved & an A0 drawing board thats too heavy for me to move.
roger

Post by roger »

JimC wrote:I think I hate all of you...

[single garage and no way of getting boats into the back garden without cutting down about three hundred trees]
Jim,

I feel for you. I have a make shift car port type thing I threw up ten years ago. The roof is breaking up and it needs replacing completely. Plans (in my head ) for a total rebuild with proper concrete floor etc. As usual time and money is the limiting factor.

I am to ashamed to post pics
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Meryl,... I have PMd you re sewing machine, many thanks......and I'm sure someone would help you clear the garage if it were to subsequently house a boat :)

Peter.... I'm hoping to make a cradle to put the Fireball on it's side for the winter......thinking of making it L shaped (or possibly slightly T shaped for stability) so that it is placed right way up on one arm and then tips through 90 degrees onto the other arm (that possibly has simple rollers?)....and then roll/slide it sideways across a smooth floor to be rested against the wall, with deck facing into garage (with the rollers wedged.)......it's surprising how useful a boat is when on it's side for light storage too!

Jim....an empty back garden? Surely you know someone with a chain saw?? :twisted:
Sami.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can't fit any boats longer than 8 feet round to the side garage door, which rather limits garden use to the Puffin and tiny canoes.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Garden shed has two merlins, my workshop has another hanging from the ceiling for winter storage plus five wooden masts. Rowing boat plus some old masts under wraps in the garden, More masts and sails in loft above workshop. (trouble is my workshop is not really a boat workshop)

The wooden shed was here when we moved in but I had to widen the doors and Iska hangs on scafolding poles across strong uprights which go down to the floor and each stand on a breeze block to take the weight to the ground.
Attachments
shed.JPG
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hanging boats up like this really needs a wide strap under the boat, attached to a pulley system to raise the boat without the strap sliding round the hull.......much like a boat-lift as found in most marinas....................I keep meaning to devise a system to do this single handed, as it was hard enough for 2 girls to get our (overweight) Mirror in the roof with a system of supports and much grunting.....and, ideally, we need to be able to do it regularly when we start renovations.
Sami.
chris

Post by chris »

There are plenty of wide straps round the boat but you can't see them as they are black seat belt stuff and yes pulleys either side. Once up there for the winter I add more -belt and braces and one just to hold the weighted centre board up too. Any pressure is well spread out - don't worry!