PY Numbers

General chat about boats
Demon

PY Numbers

Post by Demon »

May have been asked before, but searching the forum has not revealed much, so.........

Merlins have an age related PY Number, are they the only ones? Not sure what PY number i should be using for a 50 year old Hornet? Or, (as i expect) is there more to it than just the age of the dinghy?

Cheers

Mark
Rupert

Re: PY Numbers

Post by Rupert »

The handicap in 1965 for the Hornet was 88 (there are listings on the main site, on the classes dropdown menu, I think for those who are interested), so we would use that as a starting point. If the boat had been updated a bit with a metal mast and more modern sails, we would keep her on 88. If you were using an old wooden mast and terylene sails from the time (as with Shoestring, Roger's Hornet) we would give you points for originality, so your boat might, for example, end up sailing off 92, with 2 points for the mast and 2 points for the sails, say. If the boat was very much altered to fit in with absolute modern thinking (not sure about Hornets, but in general it might include Carbon masts, Mylar sails, weight reductions and the like), then points would be taken off to try and keep things fair.

Decisions like this tend to be taken by the organizers of larger events (or at the nationals the handicapping committee), and it is worth remembering what you've been given to sail off to tell other organizers at future events. If a handicap appears very unfair in either direction, we do try and change it to what seems right, but with only a handful of boats, and often only one example of each in any particular state of tune, it can be very hard to be sure.

Hope this helps.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Mark,

I dont know if your club would accept this as a hamdicap though. The Hornet association havent got round to thinking about age related handicaps so you wouldnt have the association to back you up. You could propose that as your boat doesnt have the latest sail plan etc wwould the club try a more favourable py number for a short while. You could base it on the positions you get on handicap with your laser and see how you compare in the Hornet. A long way from ideal but they might buy it.

Looking forward to seeing your boat soon.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I got a bit carried away with cvrda handicaps and forgot about answering the question there...sorry Mark!

The main RYA system doesn't do anything about age at all. The handicap takes all boats that have been sailed in handicap races into account, so will be an average. After all, out Firefly is 52, and as fast as a new boat, so they can't just go by age. All you can do, as Roger says, is talk very nicely to your sailing sec and explain that your boat is rather different to modern ones, and can you try altering handicaps till it seems fair. If you sail other, similar, classes, and you general finishing positions are known, it may be possible to get a fair handicap. Otherwise, there will be far too much crew skill factor in the mix.
Rupert