Eureka

General chat about boats
ianmgds

Eureka

Post by ianmgds »

further to previous, down in the dumps posts about my tempo scow I am pleased to say that after 18 months I eventually understood the joy of sailing.Sunny, light to moderate breeze, a perfect start. Arrive as a new member at the waterworld lake at the Cotswold water park. ` Ian we wondered when you where arriving` was the welcome as we drove thro the gates. Lovely long reaches along the lake with my son in law who has never sailed and my grand daughter, captain for the day, Ruby, who at 4 years old proved to be a hard task master. C`mon you two, faster pleeeeze. Just perfect perfect perfect!!...fastest dinghy on the lake by far.. even with me, first officer slow at the helm.

Cant wait till the next time..
jpa_wfsc

Re: Eureka

Post by jpa_wfsc »

ianmgds wrote:
Cant wait till the next time..
we all look forward to days like that and only ever remember those days - hence sailing was always so much better in the palmy days of the 60's 70's or 80's - oops no not the 80's this is the cvrda!

My last best ever days sailing was last September on a breezy day at Calshot with the Skua - right boat, right place!!

Glad you had a great day and hope that you can come down the road to Whitefriars in August for the rally!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I am confused. We are well served for sailing clubs in the 'Cotswold' area, between Swindon and Cirencester, we have:

Cotwold Sailing Club
WhiteFriars Sailing Club - Ruperts club
South Cerney Sailing Club - My club...
SCOAC - a sailing and canoeing training centre run by the local council - well, until recently.

And a short distance away we have Bowmoor Sailing Club - where I learned to sail in the 80's.

But I have never heard of the 'waterworld lake' at the Cotswold water park.....as a sailing club?

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
ianmgds

Post by ianmgds »

Looking back through my information it was waterland not waterworld...sorry if that was the confusion. As far as whether it is a sailing club or not, I assumed it was because I am sure I have seen the words club members whilst on site. If this doesnt constitute a sailing club then again sorry for the confusion. All I wanted was to show my pleasure on the water with my family. I will endeavour to check my facts more thoroughly in the future should I ever bother to post again.

regards

Ian
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Please - do not be offended. I just want to know where you were sailing as I was curious - I did not mean to offend or upset anyone.

But I am glad to hear your family enjoyed themselves....

Steve H
Last edited by Stephen Hawkins on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Glad you had a good one :D . Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than a sail that goes well.

Lake 32 Waterland Outdoor Pursuits Spratsgate Lane, Shorncote Nr Cirencester GL7 6DF - looks like a similar sort of arrangement to Roadford - not sure if it is a business or run by the council or a bit of both

http://www.ukwatersports.co.uk/
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It is a private concern, where basically you can keep your boat there and go sailing, and in exchange for not having any club organized stuff, you don't get duties either. Suits people who may just want to go out a few times a year at random intervals.

Look out for a chap with an orange West Wight Scow there, called Klaus, and say hi if you have a little time to spare!

Whitefriars is just a few hundred yards down the road, so it would be great to see you in August!?
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

that sounds great Ian! i am re\ally jealous of all sailors at the moment - can't wait for my Eureka moment when I get properly afloat agian.

Whoever, wherever waterland may be, it sounds like they're a good bunch to be with and could teach a few clubs a lesson in hospitality, especially the big faceless ones near me....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
ianmgds

Post by ianmgds »

thanks to those who posted about where I sailed, I certainly have learnt a lot from you. No problem Steve, lets buy each other a beer when we meet :lol: