General chat about boats
ianmgds

weight limit on a trapeze wire!!!

Post by ianmgds »

just in case I get brave next weekend...is 14st. too heavy??? :shock:
SoggyBadger

Re: weight limit on a trapeze wire!!!

Post by SoggyBadger »

Assuming the wire and fixings are in good order, no. My last crew when I raced Ospreys was 15 stone and he was by no means the heaviest crew on the circuit.
Best wishes

SB
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I weigh 95-97Kg, which must be around 15stone and don't have any problem with getting out on the wire on the Jollyboat. But I think this will depend more on the boat than the rigging. I would be quite happy to crew on a Jollyboat, but suspect that I might well pull an old cherub apart ;-)

I don't think the strength of the wire is the issue.....but you have to be quite careful how you get in and out on the jollyboat for fear of either putting your foot through the decks or kicking the case out of the boat.

Of course there is an argument that you may even reduce loading on the rigging, by applying a lot of weight onto the windward side of boat - through the mast, which can give the weird effect of seeing the windward shroud going loose (or so I am told - I can't say that I have ever noticed this, but I have seen it reffered to in some book on tuning - somewhere).

What class are you thinking of getting out on the wire on?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I suppose if too heavy this could happen...
but certainly on the right boat well over 15 St works fine. You just get more power which means, more speed!

j./
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I dream of a sixteen stone crew for the Osprey. However as my wife crews for me I have to be careful what I wish for...
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I dream of a sixteen stone crew for the Osprey. However as my wife crews for me I have to be careful what I wish for...
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Perhaps (ducking) you should crew for her? Always amuses me to see (as one often does) a 13-14 St bloke helming a fireball with a 9St girlfriend trapezing for him.

Or, you could do the Paul Elvestrom thing and win your next 470 Gold medal trapezing and helming (He said his crew did not know how to trapeze but I wonder if he just worked out that the heaver member of the crew should be holding the boat down?). He took a tiller-extension-extension to the games with him as the 470 was a 'supplied equipment' event back then.
Last edited by jpa_wfsc on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I know I should be at the front end but it looks like hard work :D I have tried many times to get Kirstie to helm but she enjoys trapezing too much. As long as we enjoy sailing together and don't expect to win anything then it doesn't really matter - the great thing with an Osprey is how much weight variation it can cope with and still be competitive (When the helm knows what he's doing....)
Graham T
roger

Post by roger »

Paul young of 5o5 and Rondar fame always crewed and had a lighter helm. He did all the tactics etc from the wire.

I am sure there are some seriously heavy FD crews out there.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
ianmgds

Post by ianmgds »

Its gonna be on my tempo scow.

The wires and fixings look brand new but i am unsure of how the fixing attaches to the mast. At the mo the fixing goes into a slot in the mast and turns 90 degrees to hold in place. If there is downward force on the wire it should remain in place. Is this correct?
I suspect there should be a rubber grommet inserted but i havent got any. I am considering putting a nut and bolt through the mast once the fixings are in to close the space a little and ensure that the fixing does not come out. Or should they be able to come out in the event of an emergency?
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I have never bothered with the rubber bungs and have never lost a trap wire. The elastic at the bottom means they are never without tension and you do have to turn them 90 degrees to get them out.
Graham T
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the bungs are really just there to stop water going into the mast in a capsize. Ed is right, the most danger comes from a slip or stumble and a foot going through something or a hook scratching the deck.

Once you're on the wire it effectively takes the place of the shroud, hence the shroud going slack.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I have had more than a couple of crews using the wire on the FD who were in excess of 16 stone, but then the FD carries weight well.
I wont guess at AlanW's weight but he has been one of the suspects....
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Graham
Just a couple of Kilos lighter than you.
Cheers Al
pierre

Post by pierre »

Errrmmm ... I hope he won't mind me saying this,
but forum member "FDGorilla" is likely the
biggest thing you will see sailing and used to crew
FD's .... he is getting on for 7ft tall and not light ;-)
He would break many things, but trapezes and masts
were not amongst the casualties.
Osprey 1137