Minisail class association

General chat about boats
Rupert

Minisail class association

Post by Rupert »

The 4 Minisail sailors at the cvrda rally got together for a meeting after the main cvrda AGM, and have set in motion the re-formation of the Minisail CA. We have started a re-write of the class rules to reflect the current situation of the boat, and we have set up a plan to see us through this year. We hope that at the next cvrda National Rally we will be able to have our first AGM and make official all we do this year.

The minisail website will be getting a new address, neater, snappier and more relevant, and we will spend the winter trying to find as many boats and sailors as we can. David Argles is our Commodore-elect, as it is he who has kept the class visible with his own personal minisail website ( http://argles.org/minisail/htdocs/index.php ) over the last few years, and is the "father" of the current revival.

We hope to set up some dates to meet up, using some of the cvrda meetings and some cruising days, too.

More to come as we know it!
Rupert
chris

Re: Minisail class association

Post by chris »

well done
AllonymUK

Post by AllonymUK »

That is great news. I used to sail Minisails and now there is the possibility of an Association (under the cvrda banner) I need to start looking to buy one.

I have great memories of sailing mine, complete with sliding seat, and so would wish to acquire a MiniSprint.

Time for visits to E-bay, Apollo Duck and Yachts and Yachting.

Peter -

ex Minisail K2913, ex TOY 224 & Canoes K131, K135 & GBR245. (yes I love using a sliding seat) and now Comet 803
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Peter,

early days, but yes please, come and play!

Not tempted to put a seat on the Comet, then?!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I wondered who had IC-GBR245.

If you send me your details, I will update Jim and my unofficial IC register.

eib

ps I have to admit to having sailed minisails in the past....I think the first single-handers I ever sailed. My dad bought 4 of them in the 60s for a water-skiing/boat rental place he had a business interest in on Skiathos.
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Topper-sail-b ... 336b7334f7

is that a minisail or (as I think) a GRP topper?

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

If anybody is looking for dead Minisails, we have a couple at our club. They are all GRP so have endured the weather well, but they have been pretty much ransacked. Some/most fittings are still attached, although covers/rigging a distant memory. If sails are available it may be worth investigating.
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Hi, I bought a Minisprint hull a couple of Fridays back. After nearly putting a foot through my Streaker.
Already I have found an old rudder etc, I made up for this,Image last year's intrim at least get me on the water boat, and Daggerboard.
However the water Bailiff found the pucker ones, in the weeds- so when I sold it to the guy who does rescue boat training at Lowerstoft, I kept the makeshift ones.
Anyway it has a too short mast, (my last one was 2 piece with a Topper or Laser like sleeved sail)and sail+boom.
The hull has been since, sort of out of mind,not always sight, round the side of the house. The idea however to move it again and make room to repair the Streaker, I sold my last Minisprint to do a second Streaker project, so this is in exact reverse.
Ongoing ill health is precluding me sailing the 1957 Merlin Rocket, which hasnt been in the water at all this year, 3 times late last year, albeit I did helm on a 1955 Martina MR over Ester and it took a week to recover!
So maybe if I can get a proper rig, even a Topper one, pucker rudder and correct type daggerboard-and then the bolt in moulding(unlike a first \minisprint I had, which had it moulded in- and a more seperate pontooned self draining hull,) maybe I can like last year at least, do a bit of gentle autumnall sailing, or get the other bits sorted and use the makeshift ones. Well I was doing up a third Fireball then and seem to enjoy that side of things when health allows.
There are so many bike projects,on the back burner too, but this strand has got my enthusism going again. Image
Last edited by GAVinT on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
AllonymUK

Post by AllonymUK »

Hi Rupert,

I am now looking for a Minisail. Putting a seat on a Comet could be suicidial as the boat is only 11ft 4inches long.

Hi Ed,

I sold IC GBR245 to a guy called James Hockridge. I do not have his details but you can contact him on Apollo Duck as the boat is up for sale.

All.

One thing is certain there are a fair number of Minisails/MiniSprints out there so I hope the Minisail Class Association really gets of the ground.

Regards

Peter.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Attached to this email may, just may, be the 1st copy of MiniSail News, or MSN for short! It takes a minute or so to download - less on a more modern device, maybe - and then you will see what the Minisail has planned for the future, and some great photos by Karen.
Attachments
Minisail News Autumn 2011.pdf
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 562 times
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Room for any Beachcombers? :shock:
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nice job on the Minisail newsletter. I'm always pleased when a scow class gets resurrected. I noticed in your rules that one is allowed to build a new Minisail so I presume that plans exist. I've always wondered if the designer is dead, whether you can consider the plans public domain (particularly for what was a dead class). That seems to be the case but I've always wondered about the legality.

Rod Mincher
Annapolis MD
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rod wrote:I've always wondered if the designer is dead, whether you can consider the plans public domain
Well no, you definitely can't do that. But the whole business of intellectual property rights and boat designs is complicated, and I definitely don't understand the subtleties. The Laser class currently seem to be finding out they don't either.

From what little I can make out the rights of the designer/his heirs probably don't prevent you from taking the lines or flopping a mould off a Minisail and building one yourself. There was a recent court case in Australia about flopping boats off a mould and it decided that the designer's copyright didn't prevent this. I'm damn sure it *does* prohibit you from making copies of the original plans and selling them. There may also be contract implications - ISTR seeing a restriction on the plans of at least one 60s class that prohibited more than one boat being built off a set of plans which I would, ill-informedly guess, is a contract between the vendor and purchaser of the plans as part of the sale of the plans - an EULA in current IT terminology.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd imagine that if you build a boat from the Proctor design stable, it would only be fair to contact them and tell them, and pay a fee if they deem it appropriate. I guess checking before building would both be polite and save you from any potential shocks.

Godfrey, I missed your post about dead hulls in amongst the others - what club are you at, please?
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:I'd imagine that if you build a boat from the Proctor design stable,
Excellent point Rupert, I was forgetting that in this case the rights owner should be easy to identify and locate... Presumably any of the active Proctor classes can tell you who they send the royalty payments too. I very much doubt it will be Selden masts!