Minisail class association

General chat about boats
Rod

Re: Minisail class association

Post by Rod »

Rupert is correct but in practical terms, I think most class associations of home built boats, with the designer long gone, just sell the plans and push the money back into the class treasury.

From an historical viewpoint, most dinghy plans from the 60's have disappeared; a shame as I consider some of them works of art, some of them have interesting construction details, some of them are worth building today.

There really should be an effort to publish these plans on the Internet as public domain because nobody today wants to make the effort to print large scale plans and then mail these plans around the world.

I know the fellow who sends out the plans for the Phil Rhodes 11'6" Penguin design. The class association charges $50 (I know Phil Rhodes heirs don't see that money) and it really doesn't cover the effort in getting these plans printed and mailed out. When he decides to quit, I don't think you will be able to get plans for the Penquin.

I did a short blog post on the Phantom dinghy and in doing some research, digging around the Internet I found that you could get plans from the designers daughter but there was no email address, no street address. If you were really persistent, you could probably get a set of Phantom plans but I bet it wouldn't be from the daughter but from somebody in the class who was sitting on a copy.

Rod
Annapolis MD
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

There's a clean looking Minisail that's been for sale for months on Wightbay.com ;

MINISAIL. 13' YELLOW FIBREGLASS MINISAIL . SAIL in excellent condition,2 PIECE MAST,ALLOY BOOM, RUDDER AND DAGGER BOARD..SIMILAR TO TOPPER. £140.00 o.n.o Newport , Isle of Wight , PHONE 01983 562848
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Saw a MiniSprint out on Harlyn Bay on North Cornwall on Sunday.

Don't get many dinghies on the beach as it can be a bit wild for anything much other than surfing.

But last Sunday had no swell and a nice cross-shore wind and the Minisprint was having a very nice time indeed.

I have often wondered what boat would do well on Harlyn....considered a Tempo in the past, but after seeing the minisprint I reckon that is about as good as you could get! Of course making a new one a bit lighter would most probably help.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I sailed off Harlyn in a Topper. The only boat you can drag up and down the beach and sail out through the surf without getting full up.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ed wrote:Saw a MiniSprint out on Harlyn Bay on North Cornwall on Sunday.

Don't get many dinghies on the beach as it can be a bit wild for anything much other than surfing.

But last Sunday had no swell and a nice cross-shore wind and the Minisprint was having a very nice time indeed.

I have often wondered what boat would do well on Harlyn....considered a Tempo in the past, but after seeing the minisprint I reckon that is about as good as you could get! Of course making a new one a bit lighter would most probably help.

eib
Just building down to the minimum weight of 43kg would help - I never weighed my Minisprint, but it must have been far heavier than that, as i my current Sprite, judging from the expression on Peter's face as he helped me get it off the car roof at Clywedog... Would be interesting to build a new one, but can't see me doing it for a while. Ronny DG has plans in that direction, though.
Rupert
RonnyDG

Post by RonnyDG »

43kg, i will have to keep reminding myself of that number when i build it.
It will certainly ask for some extra selfcontrol because when i build or rebuild i tempt to care more about durability than weight.

Weighed my old Sprite this afternoon; she's 55Kg (hull only).
Good it's not a proper she we are talking about, looking for age, sizes and weight ; )
Greetings,
Ronny
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

http://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... art-1.html

Rod has some stuff about the Minisail on his blog now, thanks to Karen's great pics, my words and Rod's own background commentary.

Worth taking a good look round the rest of the site!
Rupert
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hey Rupert I saw you mentioned in the what's and yachting magazine for being in charge of the minisail class association, and in the cvrda section as the winner of the nationals.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not really in charge, just a point of contact until things get sorted out, and the publicity person. And was lucky enough to beat off the competition at the cvrda Nationals - home advantage helped...

Mainly I just like old boats and like spreading the word, and after a decade or more with the cvrda have come to the conclusion that doing it class by class is worth a try!
Rupert
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Rupert wrote:Mainly I just like old boats and like spreading the word
Isn't that why we are all here? I know it is why I am here!
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think you might just be right there, Max!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In order to keep Minisail info and stories fresh and up to date, I decided a blog, rather than a newsletter was the way to go. Only a few articles on it so far, but I hope it will grow!

http://minisailnews.blogspot.com/

Ideas welcome.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Little write-up and video of Tom in his sliding seated Monaco from this weekend's training at Whitefriars:

http://minisailnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... riars.html
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

More...

j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.