Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
roger

Re: Minisail class association

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:Imagine trying to climb over the hull when you capsize... and DON'T coat the centreboard!
or the sliding seat... ask david H about the pro lube
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
BRS

Post by BRS »

Hi

Excuse my jumping into this thread.

I've just bought the wooden Minisail off of Ebay. Picked it up today and its in really great condition. But it appears to be hull No 7!. Are any of the 6 older ones about or am I jumping the gun here.

I need a sail for it though so any suggestions about where to get one would be appreciated.

Cheers

John
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi John,

Welcome to the world of Minisails! Have you found the forum at www.minisail.org.uk?

No7 would be quite a find - if you have any pics, I can probably rule out whether she is, but possibly not confirm, if that makes sense, by what she looks like. you can send photos to rupertatcvrdadotorg, replacing the at and the dot with the normal things.

2ndhand sails tend to be 1) rare and 2) usually terrible. New sails with stripes are available from R&J sails near Bristol for just over £200, and plain white for a little less. One won the cvrda Nats last year, so they work OK! We should have a 2nd supplier soon, Morgan sails in Southampton, which will be a few £ more - no idea on quality yet, as we are sorting him with a sail to measure soon. Plan is I'm going to order one in a few weeks when I've found a GRP hull to play with so the wooden one can be comfey over the winter.
Rupert
BRS

Post by BRS »

Hi

She's this one of Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... SA:GB:3160

The identification grapic on the Minisail makes her a pre-62 Sprite 1

Cheers

John
BRS

Post by BRS »

Actually, Having looked again it has a V Hull so it must be a wooden Monaco 1.

John
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

well, a lad turned up today to enquire about joining and blow me down if he doesn't have a minisail monaco. He was asking me about kicker fittings. I may be back with questions!

One for our cvrda meet next year, that's for sure.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looks like soon I'll be the proud owner of a GRP Monaco, no 2427, by the look of it. looking forward to comparing how the Sprite and Monaco go against each other - I'll have to talk Kathryn into sailing one of them!

Anyone got any ideas on how to dry out old GRP hulls without cutting hatches? I'm guessing that warm air flow, with a way out for the moisture, is pretty much it?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

I would suggest a dry warm garage, a length of tubing and a pump/compressor.

Stick the tubing as far as possible into the bung hole, connect to the pump and leave running for a few weeks.

I would guess that moisture transfer is more likely on the matt side rather than the gelcoat side so the airflow/exhaustion from inside the hull will be the most effective approach. No impirical evidence on how effective that would be but easy to do and leave so worth a shot. No real idea on how much airflow would be needed either but possibly only a small amount so even an old fishtank airpump could do the trick - Easy to find one of those lying around.

The addition of a dehumidifier into the garage space would also speed up the process. I used one to dry out a flooded car once - surprisingly effective.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Little write-up of the Minisails at the CVRDA Nationals here

http://minisailnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... onals.html
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

have you chaps seen this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MiniSprint-si ... 2321c12d1d

looks a tidy little boat.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think this is the one that Dean, who was sailing the amazing sinking Minisail at BBSC, has bought as a replacement!
Rupert
v8deanoncvrda

Post by v8deanoncvrda »

It is called 'Scallywag' and it is indeed a tidy boat and with a brand new sail. The previous owner, Sean, was only selling due to downsizing.
I sailed it together with a mate of mine last weekend up at Lake Vrynwy and now I'm looking forward to sailing it alone and in a good breeze.
International Moth Blitz 2 3958 (work in progress)
MiniSprint MK2 'Scallywag' 7000
Leader II 1133
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Dean, did you launch from the boatyard? I went to have a look a couple of weeks ago, but did not fancy scrambling down the shaley slope with a boat behind me and no jetty when you got down.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
v8deanoncvrda

Post by v8deanoncvrda »

Yes At the Bethania adventure boathouse. We got down there early and squeezed ourselves trough the narrow gate (the larger double gate being locked, ruling out an easier trolley launch) tipping the boats on their side or lifting them over the low fence. We were rigging up when the chap turned up with a group for canoeing. We were friendly and he made no problem about us being in his way. He gave us a red/purple flag to tie to one of our boats, which he told us would stop people shouting at us (we saw/heard no-one on the lake). He warned us no to go further than the white house. (but there were several white houses!)
We used the boathouse to eat our sandwiches and later he slipped in that we owed him for a launching fee for the two boats. Normally £7.50, but we could pay £5 each. I talked him into a cup of tea for each of us included in the price, which was no problem at all.
Boathouse was a bit draughty, but we were happy to be out of the wind for a while. NO showers/toilet available.
We didn't look for any other launch sites, but there was a picnic area with large tables further around on the same side as the boathouse which could be used as it had a grassy slope down to the narrow stony beach area.
My brother sailed without bother from Bala the week before. Carrying his Topper off/onto the layby by himself.
Where are you based/local club? My mother's house is in near Walsall, but I'm not often there.
International Moth Blitz 2 3958 (work in progress)
MiniSprint MK2 'Scallywag' 7000
Leader II 1133