International 14 - Aerial

General chat about boats
Garry R

International 14 - Aerial

Post by Garry R »

I was at a Safari Supper in Chapel Allerton last night and the subject of sailing cropped up and a rather tipsy and very nostalgic lady told me that she once owned an International 14 built by Uffa Fox and it was called Aerial - she thought No 176. Almost weeping with regret at selling it (about 30 years ago I think!) she wondered if anyone might have any idea where this ribbed beauty might be now. She sailed it at Torbay. Any answers?
Mikey

Re: International 14 - Aerial

Post by Mikey »

"Ariel" was number 62 and was indeed designed and built by Uffa. (176 was "Alert" designed and built by Morgan Giles). Sorry have no idea of location or even if still exists!

Mike Liggett.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

First Morgan Giles challenged the Cowes clinker craft with one of his carvel, U bowed dinghies and proved it the better boat. This prompted Uffa Fox to reply by designing his first dinghy, Ariel, which in its turn beat the Morgan Giles boats. Uffa Fox had served in the R.N.A.S. and R.A.F. during the First World War and he applied the knowledge he had gained in working with flying boats to small boat design and construction. With Ariel (62) built in 1925 Uffa cut down the 'Towering topsides' of the native Cowes boats. She was carvel built to a design halfway between the planing shape of today and the U bowed Morgan Giles hulls. She had a sliding gunter rig with a roller reefing jib; fittings and gear were reduced to minimum weight but not at the expense of strength, for Ariel was still sailing in 1963.
http://gbr.international14.org/index.ph ... y&Itemid=9

That would make Ariel possibly the most important dinghy to find - Uffa's first design!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

His first sailing dinghy design, anyway - hadn't he been doing design work on powerboats before that? Still, agree it is an important boat to keep alive.
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Having met Jan again tonight it is confirmed that the boat was indeed Alert No 176 and any whereabouts would be appreciated. Although the number is confirmed her husband is adamant that it was an Uffa Fox boat. I will send her the forum link and she and her husband may furnish more detail.