Should we make a CVRDA scow?

General chat about boats
Max McCarthy

Should we make a CVRDA scow?

Post by Max McCarthy »

Having read this topic on scows:
http://bearfacemedia.co.uk/Scows.aspx
It suddenly occurred to me that scows were a relatively old design, with older fireballs and bullets being able to pass for cvrda events. However as this information (in the URL) rightly says, there has been no known scow designed from the year 2000 onwards. So would it be worth while for a group of CVRDA members to come together and design and build a scow dedicated to all the best things about them? With all the renovation that goes on here, I think lots of people would have the skill to build and design a scow easily out of almost anything.
So what do you think, is it worthwhile?
Thanks, I look forward to your reply's,
Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Re: Should we make a CVRDA scow?

Post by Rupert »

The main thing a modern Scow would have to be to make it different from (or to?) the ones already out there would be a combination of light weight and the ability to carry a "normal" sized human being... Int Moths are light, but the low volume is a problem. Minisails are a bit better at weight carrying, but are fairly (or very, in some cases) heavy compared to what could be built now, and the rig could do with a make-over, if starting from fresh. As for 2 handers, the Fireball seems difficult toimprove on in a classical kind of way, really.

I confess, I doodle new scow designs a lot, but existing designs have so much to offer in the classic boat field, I've not got around to doing anything about it.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

There is a sort of new scow being built. http://graemefuller.blogspot.com/

It has caused some debate on Y&Y http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/ ... tle=v-twin
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Roger
Yer but it looks totally wrong. If Gruff has designed it it will under perform. He's claiming outrageous things for this and has never even raced it against another boat. Due to the design and wetted surface area of the thing it would be very hard to beat a Vario, let alone a Fireball, Hornet 505 and a D-one would wipe the floor with it. Waiting to be proved wrong.
Cheers Al
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

It's got the tunnel at the wrong end..........

The Aussie scows had tunnel-bows so when they were heeled it was like having one bow, and when they were level there was resistance to nosediving. Their advantages were in having more leverage and so carrying more power when heeled, and stability generally, bit like a cat.

So, a 13-foot ply tunnel-hull with 9 or 10m2 of sail.............

Paul
roger

Post by roger »

I was just pointing Max towards an interesting thread. I have no oppinion on it but have followed the comments with interest.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The basic concept of the Y&Y boat was tried on the YW Scow back in the 60's, and never went any further. I assume for a reason...

My Minisail is concave at the bows - so almost a tunnel hull, there. Paul's basic outline seems pretty spot on for a singlehander.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
YW Scow big awkward boat which was not as fast as a 17ft Thai Mk4 catamaran, it was mega expensive to boot.
Cheers Al