URGENT Have you got any Light Craft Magazines from Late 1961

General chat about boats
oldsilverfox

URGENT Have you got any Light Craft Magazines from Late 1961

Post by oldsilverfox »

One of the highlights of my life in catamarans was sailing my Thai Mk IV cat from Folkestone, across the Channel to Boulogne to race in a regatta weekend organised by the French in July 1961.

To my surprise and delight the next issue ( either August or September 1961 ) of Light Craft Magazine not only covered the event, but had a photo of my cat, Thai #6 on the cover tanking across the harbour.

Unfortunately my copy of the issue disappeared a few years later during a messy divorce, and now at 74, I would dearly like to obtain another copy.

When I Googled "Light Craft Magazine", it returned a thread from 2006 on this forum, :?: from some members who appeared to have accumulated some old copies of the magazine between them.

Therefore could I appeal to anyone who has a copy of this issue to contact me. I will gladly pay for the issue, whatever the condition.

BTW I do still possess a copy of the official programme, so if anyone out there is interested, I can let them have a good photocopy.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance that you can offer.
neil
Site Admin

Re: URGENT Have you got any Light Craft Magazines from Late

Post by neil »

The list of mine are here: download/file.php?id=1099&mode=view

This is slightly out of date as I found some more. The downside is that due to the spare bedroom floor creaking I had to move them and they are all in boxes under the stairs, so it will be some time until I can get to them to check. I do have double copies of many editions so I'll check to see if there are any spares. I also have to look for Roger to see if I have a spare one showing Shoestring.

I'll try and get to them over the weekend - feel free to nudge me if I've not responded in a couple of days.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
oldsilverfox

Post by oldsilverfox »

Hello.
First of all, many thanks for your reply and help.

The Regatta was at the end of July, so it could well be the September issue which would have been published mid / late August 1961.

The cover picture is a catamaran sail number 6 on a screaming starboard reach.

Regards,
oldsilverfox

Post by oldsilverfox »

Er, is it ok to apply that nudge that you mentioned, to complete that visit to under your stairs ?????

Happy New Year from the Oldsilverfox
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

thanks for the nudge - I'll try to get under there tonight

neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Finally got under the stairs, unfortunately August 1961 is one I don't have (I have July and September). The only one I can find with a Thai Cat on it is September 1960 with a Thai Mk III no. 1 on the cover

regards

Neil

oldsilverfox

Post by oldsilverfox »

Hi Neil,
First of all thank you for your valuable help. At least I now know that it is the August 1961 issue that I am searching for so we are a tiny bit further on.

Anybody else out there who has a pile of back issues ???

Thanks for looking,

Oldsilverfox.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

I have some copies from around this period but I do'nt know exactly what. I sold my house back in May and the Mags have been boxed up with loads of other stuff since then. I'm taking all the house stuff to my new house during the week 23rd Jan- 30th Jan. There are many boxes but when I arrive I ill try to locate the Light Craft mags amongst it all and see what I've got. I know it's a bit of a long shot but you never know. Bear with me.
Alan
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
oldsilverfox

Post by oldsilverfox »

Thank you Alan for your response. I've been searching for this item for a couple of years now so two more weeks is a small matter.

BTW, I see you are based in Portsmouth. If we do strike lucky I am just west of Fareham so I could collect.
oldsilverfox

Post by oldsilverfox »

UPDATE.

Thanks to the invaluable help from forum member Alan, I have now managed to narrow it down to the OCTOBER 1961 issue.

If you do possess this edition and are willing to let it go to a person that will treasure it, please do contact me, either through this forum or directly through the email facility, to agree a price

As they say on ebay, thanks for looking.
oldsilverfox

Post by oldsilverfox »

Hello everyone,
Does anyone possess a copy of "Light Craft" magazine, I believe dated October 1961 or thereabouts ??

I think that it features a Thai catamaran No6 on the font cover, with the head line "Catamarans at Boulogne."

If you have please contact me, I am willing to purchase it for a VERY reasonable price.

Thank you for looking.