International 14s

General chat about boats
Chris B

International 14s

Post by Chris B »

I've been interested in International 14s, particularly 1930s - 1950s, Uffa Fox and Fairey. for sometime but I'm probably too old to sail one now at age 64. Could anyone answer the following questions:

Does anyone sail 1930 - 1950 aged International 14s and where?
Do any come to the cvrda events?
Is it possible to buy the International 14 1928 - 1989 book by T Vaughan and from whom?
I am aware of the 1925 International 14 for sale on Ebay, The Eyemouth Boat Museum, I understand that an Andrew Thornhill owns a few and is linked to the EBM etc and I have seen the International 14s at the Newport Boat Museum and the National Maritime Museum at Falmouth. Other suggestions would be helpful.
Incidentally isn't the model of an International 14 in the showcase at NMM Falmouth brilliant. Anyone know any more about it?

PS also interested in International Canoes!

Chris B
Windermere

Wayfarer
Laser
Albatrosses
Fairey Huntress
Owned National N1000 when a teenager!
Nessa

Re: International 14s

Post by Nessa »

the last time I saw the Tom Vaughan book up for sale was on ebay. It's worth going here:

http://gbr.international14.org/

for a lot of information, including in the History section under About Us, and also in the forum (there is a GB section) under Membership.

I have number 869.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Hi Nessa

Thanks for the info. I see some more reading!

Chris B
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Hi Chris

Like you I have always had a thing about the old 14s and when I returned to the UK a few years ago I promised myself I would get one to sail in classic events. By a quirk of fate I have now ended up with 2 – K380 a 1937 Uffa boat and K680 a 1957 Fairey. Both are still work in progress but I hope to have the older boat in the water shortly and the Fairey later in the season.

Turning to your questions, the man you really want to talk to is James Vaughan (James_Vaughan@rnli.org.uk). James (Tom Vaughan's son) now runs the classic wing of the UK 14 association and organises open events each year at Rickmansworth, Upper Thames, Itchenor and Blakeney amongst others These are really for the classic rather than vintage boats although there are certainly vintage boats sailing at Upper Thames.

The Tom Vaughan book seems to be as rare as hens teeth. I found my copy about a year ago through Google Books and at the time there were a number of other copies on offer - a brief search last night suggests that unfortunately that isn't the case now. Nonetheless as Nessa says most of the history section is reprinted on the Int 14 web site.

The 1925 boat looks interesting but a serious amount of work to properly restore - I attach a rather evocative picture of her in better days. I hope she ends up in the right hands albeit I notice no bids to date. As to other boats you are right in that Andrew Thornhill has rather cornered the market in vintage and classic 14s as part of his dinghy collection but this is housed at Lowestoft not Eyemouth. The contact is Jamie Campbell. It is a private collection albeit I think I read somewhere recently that some of the boats are now on a revolving public display at Beale Park

I agree with you about the model at Falmouth. I think it is of Alarm K347 and coincidentally after visiting Falmouth myself a few weeks ago I am also trying to find out more about it!

Anyhow good luck with your quest.

Robert
Attachments
K82.jpg
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

Hi

I am rebuilding K483 which is 1946 Jack Holt design though not built by him.

Hoping to bring her along to the Jack Holt centenary weekend if finished in time; no sails yet though-help please if anyone's got some!

Not for the faint hearted these fine carvel resto's!! at least there's no decking to do...

The 1925 boat marks the beginning of the 'arms race' for 14s; the origional clinker boats designed by Nicholson were in competition with the more efficient design carvel Morgan Giles boats like no.82, stiffer, lighter and stronger. Then Uffa Fox got involved and blew them all away!

John
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
angus

Post by angus »

I have an old main and jib off an old Howard Stevenson boat, they came with my National 12 so not much use to me, however I have never really looked at them but think they are well past there best before date but you would be welcome to them for the cost of postage if you think they would be any use.
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Hi Robert and John

Thanks for your most helpful replies and information.. Owning both an Uffa Fox and a Fairey really is the bees knees. I'm most envious!

Many thanks

Chris B
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

Hi Angus

I would be very interested in the sails; do you know their age or number please? Also whereabouts are you as I travel a fair bit and maybe could pick up

many thanks

John
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
angus

Post by angus »

Hi John
I cann't remmeber the number just at the moment and the sails are stored abourt 40 miles away. I have a feeling they are in the 600s but could not be sure. I am just a few miles south of Perth (Scotland). I will be going to an event on the tyne in 3 weeks time and can brobably manage to leave the sails with somebody down that way.
Of course this all depends on me managing to pick up the sails before then, if not I am sure I will be down south later in the year so if you get as far North yorkshire I should be able to get them that far south.
By the way I ment to say Robin Stevenson, Howard is his son!
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Angus
I will be in Perth at Easter. I if you like I could take these items South for you. I'm travelling up from Devon.
pm. Me if you want to take this up.
Cheers Al
PS w
Which club do you sail at? I was once an out of County member of Perth SC.
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

That would be brilliant; please let me know where we could meet.

John
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

International 14 Pirate 014.JPG
Just to let you know that I bought a couple of weeks ago and took delivery yesterday of 1937 Uffa Fox International 14 No 378 'Pirate'.
She requires some work to the outside of the hull as she was epoxy coated with material which has gone milky in places - so some work to do but the rest is in good condition.

Chris Barker
International 14 No 378
chris

Post by chris »

Very jealous!
ACB

Post by ACB »

For comparison with K378 here is K377 in far worse condition...

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project