Laser woes.

General chat about boats
trebor

Laser woes.

Post by trebor »

Hi all, spent 4 hours this morning trying to master a Laser in the most appalling weather, all the wrong types of rain, winds from 20 knots to zero, in the gusts the wind was reflecting off the Motorway embankment and the University buildings giving a variable wind direction from east through north to west, spent as much time in water as on boat, visibility in heaviest rain and gusts reduced to about 3 boat lengths, fantastic, luckily I have also found out how twitchy the Laser is before I brought one. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
SoggyBadger

Re: Laser woes.

Post by SoggyBadger »

That surprises me. Not sailed one for over twenty years (mercifully ;)) but when I did I found it to be an insipidly dull jerry-built little tub. But perhaps when you spend a few decades sailing real racing dinghies (Merlins and Ospreys in my case) your ideas about what constitutes a twitchy boat or a physically demanding boat changes.
Best wishes

SB
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Paul, I also found it uncomfortable, the tiny narrow cockpit is awful. This Laser is the full xd spec, it did not appear to be jerry built. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rob,

it probably wasn't the best day to try one given the conditions. Most things feel "twitchy" when surprised by big gusts from random directions. Did you have the full rig on or the radial?

The cockpit is really just a footwell. It does mean that in very light conditions you can still sit on the side rather than have to kneel in the bottom as with a wider cockpitted boat.

any particular reason to go for a laser? If not, there are some other establisherd singlehanders out there that will provide better value for money and in my opinion, a better experience - Lightning 368 for example.
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I agree with Nigel about the Lightning 368 being a nicer boat. I've sailed my brother's and it felt a lot nicer than a Laser. Still a bit shallow for my tastes though.
Best wishes

SB
JimC

Post by JimC »

trebor wrote:luckily I have also found out how twitchy the Laser is .
I dunno, sounds like the sort of day that would be impossible in any boat worth sailing...
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi all, Nigel it was the fully rigged version, nearly new, I had thought about purchasing one but not now, it may be faster than my Aquabat but not as comfortable or as easily managed, it was a bonkers day to be sailing but great fun, finally came in when I could not feel my feet or fingers, almost July and the weather was better in March. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm not a Laser fan, but I'd be hard pressed to condemn it from one sail in those conditions. They are less stable than a Minisail, and probably than an Aquabat, but the flipside of that is that they are very responsive. What they do need in a blow is loads of kicker and cunningham on, and whan the wind is gusty, you need to adjust the controls for the conditions a lot to keep in control. Would suggest trying again in happier weather! If you'd had the Lightning 368 out in that, you'd have been upside down in no time...
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, I know it is not fair to condemn the boat under the conditions I tried it in but I think the main problem was the lack of a proper cockpit, the cockpit is only just deep enough for your feet, I also found it difficult to get hold of when trying to get back in and I had plenty of practice at getting back in. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Is the cockpit really more shallow than on the Aquabat?

My only (well, not only, maybe) beef with the boat is that the decks are too wide for my legs when sitting out - but then I have stupidly short legs...
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, I also found a problem with hiking out, the edge of the cockpit dug into the back of my legs, yes the Aquabat cockpit is definitely deeper and a lot wider and longer, also their are 2 hiking straps on Aquabat and curved cockpit sides, have a look at the photos on my website, I think the Laser is an acquired taste, but it is an attractive design ( almost as attractive as Aquabat ). rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Hi Rob I only just got rid of my radial xd last week after about 7 years sailing it, the main reason I had it was for the competative racing and absolutely loved it. Personally I think it was probably the conditions that made it seem twitchy as I only found that a couple of times, but its nothing compared to the wombat moth which has replaced it! But im still young and my Dad loves his Laser. :)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Robert, are you heavy enought for a laser? Don't mean to be personal, but it is a key question in deciding what boat to buy.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Nessa, I am 5 feet 10 inches and weigh 11 stone, I also swim, do mountain biking and my main sport which is Kayaking so I am reasonably fit, it is more probably my lack of experience in sailing that caused the problem, but the Laser is not as comfortable to sail as my Aquabat which as a proper cockpit. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I have to admit to sailing a Laser for about 25 years until back, knees and and other parts of the body started letting me down. :(
In my late 20s, when I was about Trebor's weight and build, I had masses of fun in the boat. In a steady blow I could just about keep upright in a Force 5, after that I prefered to watch other idiots through the bottom of a pint glass. :D

Although she would sail well in very light winds it was very painfull trying to crouch in the centre of the cockpit and making no unnecessary movements
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE