Moth sailing tips needed

General chat about boats
BrendanSeward

Moth sailing tips needed

Post by BrendanSeward »

Hello

I took my magnum 5 moth out for the first time today it was very fun when sailing but i spent alot of time trying to get in the boat. I am woundering if there are any easy ways of getting in any tips and tricks would be a great help.

Thanks Brendan
magnum 5 moth
wind fall National 12
JimC

Re: Moth sailing tips needed

Post by JimC »

Check out videos for the modern ones - not so very different really.
Brian 42

Re: Moth sailing tips needed

Post by Brian 42 »

I sailed a Ghoul for a while .. a couple of things I learned the wet way which might help.

1. Launch on its side - pull it up, run to t'other side, run back, repeat until it all settles down.
2. Getting going - they seem to hate bearing away, but I discovered if you sit with the windward wing just in the water, the top of the sail will pull the boat away from the wind to get you going. It feels a bit like water-starting, but not quite so extreme and gets you out of that horrible stalled head to wind thing.
3. Tacking - Get to the other side of the boat earlier than you might think, then you can heel it to windward to do as described in 2.

hope this helps. If you get fed up with it, stick at for a few more months and get an RS600 if you'd like to put in the same amount of effort but get more speed reward.

Enjoy!

Brian
Wildfire 84
Contender 2303 (Too old for the RS600!!)
Hornet 1964