Low rider moth fest.

General chat about boats
Nessa

Low rider moth fest.

Post by Nessa »

How many might be interested in coming to Hunts for this? We are near Cambridge, very close to the A1 and A14. If you were to come, what would you want - ie training, racing, faffing, chatting? Two days or one? Camping? What time of year?

Camping can be allowed on site if we ask in advance, two days would mean joining in with club racing. It's short notice, but we could possibly squeeze in something this autumn. We have three moths in the club already, four if you count the classic (which you probably don't)!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Re: Low rider moth fest.

Post by Bootscooter »

I'd be up for it, subject to clashes with my kids' racing, new job etc. Oh, and I've not collected it yet, it may have no foils, and I've not sailed a Moth since I was 21, fit and flexible (and devilishly handsome, if I may add).
Bit of training/tuning, camping, drinking and racing please (but not necessarily in that order).
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

a lot would depend on when, but Matt would be keen to sail his Skol at such an event. I'd be happy to borrow a boat that is there, or contribute to training / safety cover..

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Just had a thought, but is my Moth (collecting the pile of parts this afternoon) too new for the organisation? I think it may be a Magnum 9.5

Nessa

Post by Nessa »

both the other low riders are Hunts are 'too new' for official cvrda stuff, but we let them in anyway to this year's open, as we would for any other cvrda event. We are the home or the weird and wonderul and slightly wild....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

You've described me perfectly there... :D
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Incedentaly, my 13 yr old spotted the Mag 5 on eBay, and has suggested I buy it and paint the 2 Moths the same so that SWMBO won't realise! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

He will go far!

For cvrda events, the cut off date for development classes (both design and build) is 1985. For a gathering of classic moths, it would be entirely up to the organizers to decide what they regard as classic, or whether they are looking at all lowriders.

As far as the cvrda Nationals goes, to qualify for the prizes, you would certainly need to be pre 1985. It would then be up to the organizers to decide whether a boat is suitable. I have to admit, that if the event was at Whitefriars again, I'd be saying, sorry, far too new.
Rupert
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Gah! Look like I'll have to be keeping an eye on the Mag 5 after all then :lol:
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

That red one looks like a Magnum 8............too wide for a 9/9.5/9.9, and round-bilged, but with a mast stump and a gantry.

Paul
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

PaulM wrote:That red one looks like a Magnum 8............too wide for a 9/9.5/9.9, and round-bilged, but with a mast stump and a gantry.

Paul
Really? Does that make it the "correct" age then?

*crosses fingers*
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Jon,
I would suggest that It's more likely to be an 8 having looked at the photos and by the way I think that you may also be wrong about being "devilishly handsome " at some imaginary period in the past...unless of course we both were in which case I'll let it stand!

If it is an 8 then unfortunately it won't officially qualify under CVRDA rules as it will have been designed and built after 1985, however, I don't see why lowrider Moths can't be allowed to join in as there is no other circuit or competition that caters for them to race each other. They may not be eligible to win any prizes, but that wouldn't stop most people joining in and we could maybe have two sets of results: One set would be unofficial and would include all the Moths and the second CVRDA set would only include those that qualify. The CVRDA principle of allocating age, state of tune and degree of modernisation related handicaps would work really well for the Moths if administered fairly and as I have said before would make a really interesting comparison between boats from different eras.

Fellow Mothists,
If there is as much interest as recent posts suggest in having a stand alone Lowrider event either at Hunts or Whitefriars in September/ October then lets get our heads together and firm something up. From a personal standpoint the best weekend for me in Sept would be the 15th/16th which puts it between the CVRDA National Rally and the Bosham event...any thoughts? The 20th/21st Oct is also good for me so if either date suits the majority of those interested and one of the 2 clubs is willing to host us then lets get it on!
In the meantime I am definitely planning to do the Nats at Bough Beech and may also do Clywedog if the forecast looks reasonable.

Regards

Ian M
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Haha, wondered when you'd find me :lol:

Got to get it up and running quickly as I'm posted in Sept - I'll still be around most weekends though. :D
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

I think a Moth Fest would be a great idea. September or October should be ok for me. May not be able to get away for whole weekend but Cambridge not too far for a day trip.
A bit of comparing, tweaking, chatting and racing sounds ideal.

Lyndon

Greensforge SC
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Ian,

the trouble with allowing classes to sail in cvrda events because their own CA's don't cater for them is that we would soon be over run by newer boats. There are several non qualifying one design classes in this situation, and feelings in the past in the majority have been to keep with the strict 1965/85 rules, unless individual clubs (such as Hunts or Whitefriars have in the past) have expanded things. The Nationals, though, tends to be more strict than the smaller events.

The solution, as far as I can see, isn't to mix the newer Lowriders with the classic boats - the sailing characteristics and the type of water they are good on is pretty different to a 1960 Enterprise, for instance. Better is to try and get the Int Moth class interested in their history again, through specialized Moth events like those being talked of on here, but maybe on larger water, if the last of the non foilers wanted to join in. Do the Moths have a forum where word of such things can be spread?

I would love to see more of the older Moths at cvrda events, though - they are to me the ideal cvrda singlehander - rare, break a lot, in need of work often, and fun to sail. Sadly, my knees felt otherwise.
Rupert