Single handed racing in a two hander?

General chat about boats
Chris B

Single handed racing in a two hander?

Post by Chris B »

Hi.

I sail my International 14 single handed and now have a Firefly mainsail to use if it is too windy. Hoping to put my I14 logo and numbers on it

Living in the North of England I was thinking of making the effort and attending the Blithfield event near Rugeley at the end of June if I'm not required elsewhere.

Is there any problem in racing an International 14 single handed at Blithfield and other CVRDA events? I promise I'll keep out of the way of keen racers.

I know that crews would possibly be available but I prefer sailing single handed as at 17 stones a crew tends to get in the way - Teehee!

Chris B

I14 378
Lukey T

Re: Single handed racing in a two hander?

Post by Lukey T »

Hi Chris,

I cant speak for the CVRDA but you would be very welcome at the event in Blithfield. I dont know whether there is a precident for an adjusted handicap for single handed and smaller main, Pat would probobly be best to answer that.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

No Problem at all.

Any handicapping would be of the "stick a finger in the air" variety, but I don't suppose that would worry you!
Rupert
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

That sorts that one. I do think it is something that should attract more to the CVRDA, the way anyboat in any set up is welcome.

Anyway hope to see you at Blithfield Chris.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Thanks - Lovely replies. Wouldn't want to turn up and upset anyone but following your replies it gives me confidence to come along and participate.

Hope to make Blithfield.

Many thanks

Chris B

Int14 378
chris

Post by chris »

We take the same attitude at our club. We want people to join in rather than sit on the bank if a someone ends up single handed. We make an adjustment on the handicap -20. But some reckon they go slower singlehanded!
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

chris wrote:We take the same attitude at our club. We want people to join in rather than sit on the bank if a someone ends up single handed. We make an adjustment on the handicap -20. But some reckon they go slower singlehanded!

I guess that depends on the boat and conditions really, a single handed firefly would be easier than a single handed wide Merlin. And in a 5 or 6 the sitting out power of 2 would be a real advantage.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We use -20 at Whitefriars too, but only for boats with a PY higher than 1000. I introduced it about 10 years ago when I was Rear Com Sailing, but there is no science behind it, simply an encouragement for 2 handed boats to get a crew, but recognizing that a fast boat will never really be better off, even in the light stuff. At the time, the club allowed you to sail multiple boats in a series and have the results count as one, so you could singlehand one week and double hand the next. It was changed recently (thanks to a bit of piss taking when choosing a boat for the conditions - no, not from me...) so you'd be counted as a different set of results, which actually makes the -20 less relevant.

At the cvrda, I've sailed Saskia off 99 or 98 singlehanded, and 99 or 100 with a crew, and I think we've had other Fireflies and Grads doing similar. Can't remember a singlehanded 14, though. Can't see it needing a drop in handicap, though. Maybe the opposite with a Firefly sail up!
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

The Firefly has a recognised single-handed handicap but we'll certainly stick a finger in the air and find something suitable for the 14. However you may also find someone who'd like to crew for you. We'll sort it out on the day!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)