Magnum 8 on ebay

General chat about boats
corribee tom

Magnum 8 on ebay

Post by corribee tom »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sailing-dingh ... 4ac2c93148

Looks a nice boat as a tidying up project, very simular to mine when I got it!!
Spiderman

Re: Magnum 8 on ebay

Post by Spiderman »

Yes it looks worth rescuing and shouldn't take too much work to get it back on the water, however it is definitely not a Magnum 8 as it is in fact a Magnum 5! That said, it will be a bit more stable than an 8 and will certainly qualify under CVRDA rules as it will have been built before 1985. It would be really nice to have another Magnum in the CVRDA ranks so come on someone take a punt....

Rgds

Ian M
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Oops, must admit I noticed afterward it was a different shape. Like you say would be nice to get some more Moths on here! Last season I didnt manage to get much use out of the Wombat but hoping to a bit more this season!

Ps. Im sure theres someone on here who likes collecting Moths ;)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........I must resist....................

mind you, I already have a five.....but even so.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Low Rider Moths will be very welcomed as Guests (for those not meeting the 1985 cut off date), at the CVRDA Open at Roadford Lake SC Devon on the 8-9th June we would like to see as many of you as possible.
Cheers Al Finn 424 ex mothie Chelsea Morning and Voodoo Scow.
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Post by Bootscooter »

I don't remember my old Magnum 5 having a chine like that?!?
angus

Post by angus »

So cheap and so far away so annoying Grrh!
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
angus

Post by angus »

Sooooooo tempting, but more tha my life is worth, so dangerous.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
hollandsd

Post by hollandsd »

I might have just bought it..:-p ..never even noticed it mentioned here :)

Dan
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Post by Bootscooter »

Mrs B and I had a bit of a set-to about it last night. She said I didn't need ANOTHER boat and the money would be best used elsewhere. I emptied my piggy bank of £2 coins in front of her and said THAT would do it (£54 in the pig, high bid £51 at the time).

Nearly bidded just to spite her (and stamp my authority on my piggy bank) but bottled it. Bad coward, me.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Bootscooter wrote:Mrs B and I had a bit of a set-to about it last night. She said I didn't need ANOTHER boat and the money would be best used elsewhere. I emptied my piggy bank of £2 coins in front of her and said THAT would do it (£54 in the pig, high bid £51 at the time).

Nearly bidded just to spite her (and stamp my authority on my piggy bank) but bottled it. Bad coward, me.
One of the advantages of sailing a single hander i am guessing is that you can get way with this kind of thing and still be able to sail! :) :twisted:
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

It's much easier when the missus is the one who walks into the pub and tells him "you know that spare tiller extension we bought at the boat jumble? Well I've just bought a Merlin Rocket to go with it."
Honest I did! :lol:
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

tell us more Pat.
hollandsd

Post by hollandsd »

So does anyone have any idea of what design of moth this actually is, I've looked over google and was unable to find a magnum with that chine at the back.

Cheers

Dan
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

As I pointed out earlier in this thread it is definitely a Magnum 5! Yes, the Magnum 5 and 6 both had the drag reducing chine from the transom forward for 3 to 4 feet. It was partly there to aid building so that the tortured ply could be overlapped avoiding such a tight radius towards the stern. The Magnum 3 and 4 also had this feature although the 7 and 8 did not due to significant shape changes from the earlier Magnums.
How do I know it's 5? Well firstly I owned one for several years (K3822) so I can recognise the key features and secondly I have sailed against this particular boat when it was almost new in 1983/4. It was unusual in that the owner had opted for a Banks sail rather than the more usual Hargreaves or Sanders and he routed his controls towards the daggerboard along the centreline before turning them out towards the cleats on the gunwhale.
I may even have a photo of the boat at the Lymington Easter open meeting somewhere.

Rgds

Ian M