Enterprise sail advice please

General chat about boats
MRW

Enterprise sail advice please

Post by MRW »

This is my first posting so ‘hello’ to everybody. I wonder if anybody might give me some advice please.

I am returning to sailing after a number of years and have bought a 1978 wooden Enterprise which I have restored and updated. I used to own an Ent many years ago and remember having a set of ‘cruising’ or ‘storm’ sails which I used when sailing single handed in stronger winds. I just cannot remember what the sizing was or if the jib was smaller too. I know you can get three quarter sets of main and jib or just a reduced main. I think the three quarter sets are mainly for training? As I am not new to sailing do I need three quarter sizing?

The new boat came with two sets of full size sails so I have one set to ‘play with’ and I am thinking of having one of the mains cut down slightly for when I use it on my own. The sail maker suggested taking about 18 inches off the foot of the main, but it has occurred to me that maybe I should have the jib cut down slightly too to match. If I don’t and use the jib from the full size set with the ‘cut down’ main version would that unbalance the boat to any noticeable degree or not make too much difference? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks.
Last edited by MRW on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel
Rupert

Re: Enterprise sail advice

Post by Rupert »

When the Ent was originally designed, it had a slightly smaller mainsail.* It was decided very early on that more of a roach would give better performance. However, this did give the boat a tendancy to be slightly unbalanced in a blow, wanting to round into the wind. By reducing the mainsail size and leaving the jib as is, you may actually find the boat is better balanced.

A decent sail maker should be able to the job well. However, make sure the sail isn't blown out - the last thing you need is a baggy old storm sail.

* I cannot for the life of me remember where I heard or read this. I hope it wasn't just in my head...
Rupert
MRW

Re: Enterprise sail advice please

Post by MRW »

Thank you for your quick reply and advice making things much clearer in my mind. I guess you wouldn’t know just how much to take off the foot?
Mel
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

I think I have a set of cotton sails still in the loft that are smaller, only used them once just to try out.
angus

Post by angus »

Many moons ago as a school boy with an equally light crew we used to sail an enertprise with a full sized jib and what we called a cruising main (havn't a clue how big it was) in anything more than a light breeze. Found she handled better like this rather than using small jib. Used to annoy people occasionally when we beat them.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
Pat

Post by Pat »

Burrett (published 1974) lists the Enterprise as having sail area of 10.5sq m for racing and 7.43sq m for cruising
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

IF you google "Enterprise Class Rules" you will find all the dimensions for cruising sails with both the main and jib being smaller than the racing sails. The cruising main is between 888 mm and 1040 mm shorter on the luff and 610mm shorter on the leech if you go by the mast and boom black bands. The foot is also shorter by 533 mm. Personally, I woulldn't bother with a smaller jib, unless you want to reduce the sheet loads for a smaller crew in strong winds, as we used to reef the mains for team racing while still using the normal jib and found the Enterprise to remain well balanced with this set up. The other alternative to a cut down sail or cruising rig is to get the sailmaker to add some reefing points to an existing sail. You just need to make sure that you take slightly more out of the leech to avoid the boom being too low at the rear end. Roller reefing also works if you have a claw or rolled in strap to attach the kicker to. Again, you need to take an extra tuck at the aft end before starting the roll so that more is taken out of the leech length and the boom stays nice and high. I always used the cunningham wrapped around the rolled sail at the fwd end and tensioned in opposition to the luff tension which relieves the torque on the gooseneck and prevents the sail trying to unroll itself. Anyway, I hope that this is of some help and hope that you enjoy your return to sailing.
Regards
Ian M
MRW

Post by MRW »

Spiderman wrote:IF you google "Enterprise Class Rules" you will find all the dimensions for cruising sails with both the main and jib being smaller than the racing sails. The cruising main is between 888 mm and 1040 mm shorter on the luff and 610mm shorter on the leech if you go by the mast and boom black bands. The foot is also shorter by 533 mm. Personally, I woulldn't bother with a smaller jib, unless you want to reduce the sheet loads for a smaller crew in strong winds, as we used to reef the mains for team racing while still using the normal jib and found the Enterprise to remain well balanced with this set up. The other alternative to a cut down sail or cruising rig is to get the sailmaker to add some reefing points to an existing sail. You just need to make sure that you take slightly more out of the leech to avoid the boom being too low at the rear end. Roller reefing also works if you have a claw or rolled in strap to attach the kicker to. Again, you need to take an extra tuck at the aft end before starting the roll so that more is taken out of the leech length and the boom stays nice and high. I always used the cunningham wrapped around the rolled sail at the fwd end and tensioned in opposition to the luff tension which relieves the torque on the gooseneck and prevents the sail trying to unroll itself. Anyway, I hope that this is of some help and hope that you enjoy your return to sailing.
Regards
Ian M
Many thanks Ian for your in-depth information and advice. Your reply has answered all my questions perfectly and has been of great help. I am seeing my sail maker after the weekend, and the information you have given will help to sort out exactly what I need to do, be it reefing points or cutting the mainsail down fractionally. The dimensions you have given will also help to find the right amount to reduce the mainsail if I go down this route.

Regards Mel
Mel
MRW

Post by MRW »

Thanks also to everybody for all the good advice given, it’s really appreciated and helped me no end.

Regards Mel
Mel