Mini Sprint Handicap

General chat about boats
angus

Mini Sprint Handicap

Post by angus »

I have recently aquired a mini sprint (mk2 I think) can any body suggest a reasonable handicap for it for normal club sailing.
I have yet to see the boat and have to work out some excuse for making the long trip down to Cheshire, and on return I will say 'Honey I'm home.......look what ive found' or something similar.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
alan williams

Re: Mini Sprint Handicap

Post by alan williams »

Hi Angus
If I had known I could have brought it up to you last Friday howver have now returned from the snowy north.
Regards Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

1225 would be a good place to start, I'd say.

Oddly, on race results, the Sprint doesn't appear to be any faster than a standard Minisail, which I'm sailing off the above. You'll win in a blow, come horribly last in a drift...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:
You'll win in a blow, come horribly last in a drift...
I agree with that :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

But its awfully fun in a blow...

....especially if you are light enough.

I went out and before I went, Big Al said: First you will sink it....then you will break it.

and you know what happened, first the transom sunk and the boat filled up every time I came off the seat, then the hull filled up with water....and you guessed it....I broke it.

But god it was fun.....

half the weight and a decent rig and it would be tons of fun.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

On my one the aft main kept getting caught round the transom and yes a third of the boat was under water, but it didn't break, I used the kicker pulley to make a temporary centre main without landing, and found I couldn't get enough hand grip on that so had to keep letting it out . At that stage the little projectile seemed to be going like the proverbial, like being in a single seater racing car low down, but my control of the lash up main etc was far from perfect.
I went in however my tether to the pontoon ring slipped and by the time I returned with a length of thicker main , she was under way Marie Celestial fashion, and fortunately one of the two sailors out in a club Wayfairer boarded my helpless craft and sailed it back to land. ( unlike a similar carelessness that led to a written off Solo, as a result of the ubiquitous demands of interested parties regarding photos when trying to sell items.) :roll:
then I sold it in favour of a Streaker project. :mrgreen: The chap who bought that first Sprint off me reckoned he and his sister used to sail a Fireball, and she went on to sail around the world the wrong way, he just wanted to get back into sailing with a very cheap boat, which it was.
angus

Post by angus »

alan williams wrote:Hi Angus
If I had known I could have brought it up to you last Friday howver have now returned from the snowy north.
Regards Al
How stupid of me never thought of that although it does not have a trailer so might of been a bit problematic.
Thanks to the rest of you for your replies, my cunning plan is to sail it in a blow and my Skol moth in light winds!
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint