Megabyte????

General chat about boats
neil
Site Admin

Megabyte????

Post by neil »

Just pondering a move back into club racing again.

I've done the Finn thing, and if I went back to a Finn I know I'd be hankering for something newish and expensive. So, started thinking about Phantoms, but one prerequisite is that I don't want wood, and decent plastic phantoms are approaching Finn prices, and for some reason I can't quite bring myself (yet) to looking and Phantoms.

So, been looking around online for a single hander that's lighter than a Finn and will take my weight. I'm looking for something to hike, so no wire, sliding seat, asymmetric etc and the Megabyte seems to fit the bill. I know there's some experience of the class on here, so please feel free to share.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
PeterV

Re: Megabyte????

Post by PeterV »

My Devoti cost less than a new Laser, even with the new sail!
Just a thought!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Neil,

I really like mine. Only a few in the UK though. Ideal helm weight is about 225lb but it will cope easily with about 50lb more (or a lot less in light airs).

If you want to try one, you are welcome to come up.

Nigel
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Has Nessa still got one?

Nigel, are you the only one in the UK with the C2 rig - I see from the USA forum there was some traffic about a bulk UK buy - was there any interest in this?

I'm off to look at one on Friday, anything I should be looking for/any known issues?

thanks

Neil

Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the link between the tiller and the stock can be dodgy, the sail track is very delicate - look for chunks missing or chips, otherwise, it is a great boat. Too much for my newly svelte figure, so mine is now being used by a larger friend who will eventually be buying it. It is a joy to sail - smooth, forgiving, but fast! There are two at Hunts now and both sailors are loving them. Zim sailing are the new dealers and seem much more responsive than the previous Canadian dealer, so you might well be able to get some rigs into the UK.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Hi Nessa

what PY do use for the Megabyte at Hunts?

regards

Neil

davidh

Post by davidh »

neil...the trouble with the Megabyte is that it is not CVRDA- able..... a shame

However, when I was working last weekend down on the Bosham Revival Meeting, there was a guy out there in a Peter Milne 'HIT' dinghy and I'd have to say that I was very impressed - it looked sharp and appeared to be going well.

The other alternative would be a harrier with a phantom rig............two good weight carriers that are both fully legal classics!

And both...excellent boats

d
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'm not after a CVRDA boat, just asking about them as I know there was some discussion here about them.

Just after something simple for club racing that is not a Finn or Phantom. The more I read about the Megabyte the more I like it. Can't find a bad review yet

Anyone know how many made it to the UK? Seen a sail number in the 200s, would this be a UK or global sail number?

corms

Post by corms »

I have Megabyte 128 in the North of Scotland, nice boat to sail, I don't know of any others in Scotland
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

there are three or four at West Oxford, mine came from Weirwood/Shoreham, and the other Hunts boat also came from that area. Here we sail it off 1074, West Oxford use 1052 which is probably more realistic - it can be very fast!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rich

Post by Rich »

I am also considering a Megabyte dinghy for the future as the upkeep of my old wooden a Phantom is a pain. Problem is that there seem to be very few around, currently one for sale on ApolloDuck (if still available) but it is way over on the East coast.

The bottom section of early masts has an ali tube in it which can corrode and cause problems with the carbon. As far as I know there is no longer a distributor in the UK and any replacement parts need to be imported from North America.

Must be a good sail as it's hard to find anyone who has bad word to say about them, a real shame they never caught on.
Rich
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

yes, the bottom section of my mast had this issue but it was dealt with by P& B. Some parts, such as rudder stocks etc, are interchangea
ble with 29ers and other boats from Ovingtons.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

14 hour, 500+ mile round trip :(

Megabyte bought :lol:

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Well done Neil.

National Championships at Roadford ?
davidh

Post by davidh »

A great idea...would offer services as PRO for that one!

D
David H