the other side of the pond

General chat about boats
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

I just thought I would let you know what has been going on this weekend in the USA. Saturday feb 18th and Sunday Feb 19th we have the mid winters regatta. 77 Yacht clubs and Sailing clubs up and down the west coast of the USA and clubs in Arizona and Texas all join together to host the biggest single sailing event for the year.
If you have a yacht or a dinghy there is a club nearby with a class for you.
We sailed several of our club's Victorys 17 miles up the coast to Mission Bay where the mission bay YC put on a bash in the ocean for Catalina 22's Flying dutchmen,all hobie cats, Inter 20 cats, Lasers,Lightnings,Thistles,and Victorys.
In the bay they sailed: Holder 20's, 29ers, Laser radials, Geary 18s, Vanguard 15s and portsmouth yardstick handicap
I cannot say I did well but at least I can say I was not bottom of the fleet and I kept it right side up. Tomorrow I ferry the boat home and will drag a fishing line the whole way. Maybe something will bite.
B.E.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brian,

Is there interest in the older classes there - an equivalent maybe of the CVRDA?

How about some pictures of some of these 'other' classes

David
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

From here it looks like there is quite a bit of interest in 'old' dinghies. Certainly I get quite a few emails from people with old boats.

Especially old Jollyboats!

But I am certainly not aware of any equivalent to the CVRDA for small dinghies in the US. I know there are a couple of associations for larger classic boats.

I believe that NZ has something similar....and I suspect Australia.

I know that there is some support for classic dinghies in Germany....and maybe France.

Anybody know anything else?

As a matter of interest, how many Thistles turned up? that is the one 'US' boat that I really would love to sail or own.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

We had 6 thistles show up. about 10 lightnings. 3 finns, only one flying dutchman and that was a plastic one.
there were about 25 lasers, I think those things breed when you are not looking, some of those had really low sail numbers.
As I have mentioned before the Victory keelboats that I am currently sailing would all qualify for CRVDA, the very last one was made in 1974, and the design has been around since 1959.
we have the Wooden Boat Society here,of course as their name implies they are strictly wood boats.
Gotta run I am ferrying the boat back down the coast this morning.
B.E.
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Well I am back at the house now. The run down the coast was a little chilly today the air temp was 65f, clear blue sky wind out of the west at 5mph, we had a broad reach all the way down to the entrance of San Diego Harbour. then had to run up the harbour bringing the wind to a close reach. averaging 5 to 6 kts the whole way.
Its terrible to have to sail a boat like this, but then somebody has to do it. Right?
roger

Post by roger »

Sound like you had a tough day8)
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Sure did.You believe that don't you?
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Regarding old classes.
Here is a class sailed at Mission Bay YC , The mission Bay SKIMMER it is a scow like a Yflyer or a Fireball and has been aroung for ever.
Check out the link at http://www.mbyc.org/fleets.htm
Later you can check out their results page and see how badly I really Did last weekend.
B.E.
JimC

Post by JimC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidh</i>
Is there interest in the older classes there - an equivalent maybe of the CVRDA?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As far as I can make out they don't have any oher kind [grin]
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Brian

My sister lives in Spring Valley, and we try to visit each year. If I come down to Mission Bay can I get a sail ? Anything's better than listening to the coyotes all day.

Regards

Nick
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Nick,
If you come to Spring Valley. There are several Commercial organisations that rent dinghys Catamarans or small keelboats on Mission Bay. There is also the mission bay Aquatic center which does not rent boats per se but does "Sailing Courses" where you can get your hands on a boat. Seaforth boat rentals, also has dinghys and small keekboats by the hour.
Or you can contact me through the web page and sail with me as a guest at Convair Sailing Club in San Diego bay.
Its a bit hard getting reciprocal privilages when you are a non US club although Mission Bay Yacht Club does have about 8 CFJ dinghys mostly for the use of their junior members. If you email me directly I can give you more information.
Brian Evans.
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Brian. That's great, thanks. A little anecdote. I rented a 30footer or so from the rental place on Coronado. Passing under the Coronado bridge into the bay another 'yacht' came through the next arch. It was Dennis Conner in one or other of the America's cup boats. They weren't sailing properly, just jollying along. My nephew called across "Wanna race ?" Conner said something, winches ground, and their acceleration was just astounding. You don't know how lucky you are having that water on your doorstep - or perhaps you do.

Regards

Nick
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Believe me I know.
I used to sail the Pegasus in the frostbite series at Tewkesbury sailing club,around this time of year.
There is nothing like having to drop the sheets in the water to unfreeze them.
By the way the price you paid for that 30 footer from Seaforth Boat Rental at Coronado for one day will buy you a years membership in our club. Membership is about 172 pounds a year. we have boats for hire for about 3pounds an hour. Unfortunately we do not have a temporary membership.
Brian Evans.