Moth Roll Call

General chat about boats
bornagainmothie

Moth Roll Call

Post by bornagainmothie »

Well the deal is done and I am the new owner of 3222, Thank you to Roger for his careful storage over the last 30 years!!!
It took a while to dust it all off and see what we have, but at least its dry and solid even if it does need a fair bit of work to make it usable. We weighed the hull without wings at 61Lb which I think is light for a moth of that era. Carefully checking all the joints and seams as 40 year old glassfibre resin might be past its best and they are under much more strain in a fragile boat like a Moth. Not difficult to re-tape using epoxy which could prevent leaks in the future. We'll see how it goes.....
Attachments
Mast has no badge but looks like a Needlespar. There is some prebend just above deck level but otherwise straight. Was the bend accidental or a go-faster tweak?
Mast has no badge but looks like a Needlespar. There is some prebend just above deck level but otherwise straight. Was the bend accidental or a go-faster tweak?
Sail is remarkably good for its age,(or will be when the battens are replaced) The maker's label is Tratman&Lowther Bristol, which is the triangle badge visible on the 1972 photo.
Sail is remarkably good for its age,(or will be when the battens are replaced) The maker's label is Tratman&Lowther Bristol, which is the triangle badge visible on the 1972 photo.
The strange modified wing bars loosely in position. Will have to come up with a better solution.
The strange modified wing bars loosely in position. Will have to come up with a better solution.
Nessa

Re: International Moth Sail Number K3222 – Renovation Projec

Post by Nessa »

Well done Lyndon. I think we should start a moth preservation society...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Start one? What have you been doing up to now?
Rupert
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Exactly Rupert, I think that the Society is pretty well established already and all that has really happened is the addition of Lyndon to the members list! Nice one Lyndon.

Ian
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

It would be interesting to know how many I. Moths we have on here in total........a roll call?

Is my Europa the earliest registered at K2588? (K2539 has been passed on to someone with more time and space)

Sami.
Sami.
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

I like the idea of a Moth roll-call. I would be fascinated to know how many are about!

Who is going to start the ball rolling?
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Simon and fellow Mothists,
I tried unsuccessfully a while back to get all the Moth owners who subscribe to this forum to help me compile a Moth database, but I can only assume that none of them saw my post as I didn't get much response.
Maybe following such a good turnout of Moths at the National Rally, with 5 on the water at Hunts, now is a better time to attempt a Moth Roll-Call.
I currently own 6 boats dating from mid 60s through to the mid 90s although the Magnum 5 is looking for a new home at the moment and not all are in sailable condition...yet!
K 2883 Shelley Mk1
K3464 Stockholm Sprite
K38?? Magnum 5
K3887 Magnum 6
GBR 4012 Axeman 2
GBR 4015 Axeman 5

Anyway, welcome to the CVRDA and I look forward to meeting you and hearing more about some of your projects and exploits.

Regards
Ian M
JimC

Post by JimC »

I have 3517, albeit currently in pieces. She's a Skol 3 sliced at the waterline, and will be getting a replacement underwater piece sooner or later.
angus

Post by angus »

I have a Skol mk 2 which looks really rough but is water tght just. I don't know its number, I think the place where the number should be has been fibreglassed over.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
Rupert

Re: Moth Roll Call

Post by Rupert »

Spiderman asked me to split this part of the for sale thread away from the rest, so that the Moth Roll Call wouldn't get lost. If you are an International Moth owner, please jot down here what boat you have, so Ian can build a picture of what boats are out there, maybe leading to a big get together and boat swap party...
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ian, Angus, Jim and other 'Mothists'............

Although I'm still 'laid up' (need some epoxy and glass tape I think) I've not been idle and have already written to Peter V about possible events for the 2014 season. One of my ideas, though hardly radical, was that certain events were given an additional 'focus' for a particular genre of boat - much in the way Chris B has done with the ribbed Merlins at Wraysbury. What is clear that when you look at the classic scene, maybe even more so than in the mainstream lines of our sport, that there are 'courses for horses'. Wraysbury is a good example as a clever location for ribbed Merlins and my guess would be that Shearwater would be another. Let's face it, you'd not want them at Abersoch or Lyme Regis in open water and big seas.

IF (note please the capitals) the idea has value, then why not take one of our existing events and make it a classic Moth special; other classics are not excluded, but you could go to town on trying to get more of those classic Moths out there along for the day (some might even enjoy themselves so much that they'd come again) - then you get a 'star of yesteryear' (I'm thinking Ian Ridge, Roger Angell or JOhn Claridge) along to advise about not only sailing the boats but how to help keep them in one piece - you could even have a Moth Concours prize, judged by the guest (the winner gets a pack of SP, 2nd place 2 packs....) but - rather than just trying to report on an individual boat, there is a story there that the magazines might just take note off.

The idea goes much further than this but for Moths, where there is already almost a critical mass, it could be a workable idea.

D
David H
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

Although my 'signature' sums it up in terms of my Moth ownership, I thought I might elaborate a little on their various states of repair as others have done-

Tiger Moth is currently fundamentally functional, but had been neglected- though thankfully dry stored- before I bought her last year. She has been sailing this season and is ready to go now, but is going to get some new trampolines and a new jib this winter, as well as improvements to the trampoline lacing points on the gunwales, an improved system for the retractable bowsprit, a full re-paint and a general sort out of the hardware and running rigging.

The Gentleman Jim GBR3936 is really in very good condition for her age and ready to go.

The Dragon K3848 currently has no foredeck, but also rather ominously various bits of the internal woodwork under the dance floor rattle audibly when the hull is moved, so is likely to be a slow-burn project while I focus my attention on sorting out Tiger Moth- the whole deck really needs to come off leaving the bare hull as a blank canvas.

In terms of a 'Moth meet' at some point next year- this is something which I will definitely be very interested in, but will happily take everyone else's view on whether it would be appropriate to attend with either the Gentleman Jim (1989) or Tiger Moth (1991) both of which are outside the CVRDA age limit. The Dragon definitely qualifies at about 1980 vintage, but is unlikely to be ready to hit the water until some time well towards the back end of the season if I am being realistic!
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think the idea would be to use the cvrda event as the background, an event already in place so there is no worries about putting an event on and only getting small numbers - an event within an event, much as the Minisails have done. That way, the usual cvrda limits don't apply, so the newer boats are welcome. Just check it is ok with the organizers first. Personally, I think the Tiger Moth should be welcome at any event, any time, despite it being far too new to qualify even as a lost class. A truly unique boat that would be great to see out sailing in the flesh. Others may have a more purist view, I suppose.
Rupert
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

Also my friend Will (who isn't registered on this forum at the moment) has Magnum 5 K3854
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
Mcglashon

Post by Mcglashon »

Ive recently acquired a Skol Moth.Think it might be a Mark 2.Its got a back tank which I think makes it a Mk2.The restoration is going well ,thanks to Stu and Ian Marshall.Would have been lost without them! I might discover the number after further paint removal.